Discuss rayburn 499mx bf in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lame plumber

wonderful bits of kit, NOT. Basically a boiler and cooker on twin burners designed by rayburn, with Nuway burners on rayburns own mounting system, later binned for an outside designed eco flam powered unit.

So arrived at custards, to a working system, they said (probably was) did when tested for 5 mins, and stripped out the burner as per rayburn manual, involves removing oil pipeline to nozzle mount from solenoid, made up of 4mm pipe and 1/16 bsp comp fittings. He never did that before !! they piped, probably not as I smoothed off the 1/16th nut getting it to come undone grrrrgh. new nozzles and boiler electrode as its got a 6mm gap!! due to no tips, check pressures, up they both fire, big smile and cant undo the test points, either of them, so out to the bf flue to test!!!

At this point boiler side locks out, so check everything and tighten the boiler side 1/16 nut to the boiler nozzle holder as a tiny bit of kero showing and off it goes.

finish off tank and B off home. ring ring locked out in the morning but running now, so back an reseat the 1/16 comp joints, all ok :)

later on in week, ring ring locked out in morning again, mutter mutter I'll be back I promise as it fires and runs ok after reset.

So team all I've changed is the nozzle and broken the oil feed line at the burner. No sign of weeping at oil line. I figure the nozzle seal may be weeping, or the oil line still but blind beggar cant see or feel it so not enough oil at start so it locks out, reset ok and it fires once pump has put enough oil in there. PEC failing when hot, its old but clean so will swap it to be sure, any other thoughts for a old and very stiff this morning git, who should never have gone in the ILB to check on a stranded steer at the bottom of a cliff ( retirement age for that role was 45, now 55 and I'm 55 plus 4 days :)

Also any idea where to get 1/16 fittings to rebuild the oiline, Aga spares not much use! its 4mm tube, with olive then male threaded nut to make comp joint, cheers

Usual suspects after you touch a burner - combustion wrong (too much air or faulty nozzle)
Capacitor weak (seems to be worse after you disconnect pumps or motors)
Dirt in KBB after kerosine is drawn through again.
Photocell view obscured.
Solenoid - oil contaminated (usually fails totally though)
I always wonder is a boiler failing on cold start up attempt, - or has it failed & locked out the previous day while running on & off?
Maybe it is just air drawn in to the oil, but think of all possibilities.
I had to fix a burner that was locking out after an engineer just serviced it. He had came back & tried another new nozzle but same problem. I replaced the control box & sorted it. Obviously just coincidence & not his fault.

Last edited:
it always ticks me off that it worked before you service the bleddy thing,going to give it a bit less air on monday, swap the pec, solenoids and control box as they are all sitting there from a previous fault and not used, so it may help give it a longer life as they never use the cooker side, which is corroding away nicely!!!! then have another look at all the tank connections.

IIRC that 1/16th fitting comes as part of the coil assembly and not available separately. Sorry no much help.

update mutter mutter, been back again and noted that the pressure on the boiler side never goes above 7 bar, soft start on the boiler solenoid and aga tech reckon the resistor on the fan had failed so adviced bypassing it, as it is only there to save fan wear, so did that, nothing changed accept the bloody thing failed to fire at all now. so tried new electrode leads on the new electrode and swapped the nozzle for luck, it fired, for a bit only 7 bar still............. swapped the controllers over as they are identical, no change and the old boy had 2 new solenoids so on they went along with a pec in his box of spares for luck.

diddly changed, my only thought after I left was that it should be a soft start solenoid on the boiler and all 3 solenoids are identical..... parts book shows 2 different solenoids, me things I found the answer, but have to call aga again to check, only god thing is the old boy makes good coffee, bad thing, I'm fed up with hearing about his 2 old english sheep dogs over and over :)

I am beginning to think that its been working at 7 bar for years and no ones bothered, now the fan is failing a bit etc its starting to chuck up problems, any thoughts team rayburn techies

da daaaa its working fine now, and now I can say why, ......................... confession, small one, dopey got his nozzles mixed up which wouldnt have helped. However a detailed study of the parts list revealed the soft start pressure adjuster, behind the fuel supply bar or what ever its called, so popped in on the way back this am. Inserted the correct nozzle, having put on glasses now and wound it up and cleaned off some muck to reveal the adjuster and hey presto 7 upto 10 bar in seconds and all running at 11% CO2 after a bit of air adjustment. Ok so the fan no longer has a soft start on it and it may wear out a bit quicker so new resistor on order for next years service, but I aint going back to that one for 12 months I hope.

Oh tried calling Aga tech, you can get spares at 0830, not tech help till 0900 and the wait was 20 mins when I gave up!!!!!!! so rang reception and got her to email them to call back asap. as I hadnt resolved it then, at 1612 my phone rang once and I had a missed call from AGA, tossers, as my customer said, they are as bad as WB relying on previous good history and I had to agree with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rayburn 499mx bf in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back