Discuss Quote from Plumber - What are worth doing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LCV

Hi,

My house after the renovation will be 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms and 1 WC. I plan to replace the Combi with an unvented cylinder and boiler.

I have a long quote from a Plumber and wondering what items are actually worth doing? Or anything that is not listed here but worth doing?

1) Supply and fit limescale inhibitor
2) Supply and fit expansion vessel and waterboard approved filling loop
3) Power flush system (flushed with sludge remover and inhibitor injected into system)
4) Supply and install magnetic inline sludge preventer
5) Supply and fit central heating circulating pump

Thanks!

do you go through alot of kettles/ are you in a hard water area?

All of them !! Lol

Depending on where you live will depend if the limescale inhibitor.
If you fit a system boiler you maynot need the expansion vessel , however he may be adding it for extra expansion .

Assuming from the quote to install a central heating circulator (pump) that you are having a heat only, not a system boiler, installed as a sealed system, then:

1) I wouldn't bother with a lime-scale inhibitor, but see 6) below.
2) You will need the expansion vessel and filling loop. Make sure the expansion vessel is properly sized for the system water capacity.
3) I would go for the power flush, but make sure it takes at least six hours, and that the water quality is tested and documented at the end of it. If you have the opportunity do it with the old boiler in place as the process is more effective on heated water, but you don't want sludge flowing through your new boiler.
4) A definite yes to the in-line filter. I personally prefer the Spirotech MB3 but any good quality product will do the job.
5) A circulating pump is an essential.

6) Although I think the lime scale inhibitors are a bit like snake oil, if you have the money and the space for the unit and salt I'd install an ion exchange water softener. (Harvey, Kinetico and a few other makes available). The virtual elimination of lime-scale on taps, sanitary appliances and tiles in shower cubicles. However, make sure kitchen tap and boiler filling loop are both supplied from un-softened water.

Thanks for the advice!

I do live in a hard area. I have a Harvey water softener already installed.

The boiler he has quoted for is the Vaillant EcoTec Plus 438 condensing boiler and flue and 250 litre Heatae Sadia mega-flow unvented hot water cylinder. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice!

I do live in a hard area. I have a Harvey water softener already installed.

The boiler he has quoted for is the Vaillant EcoTec Plus 438 condensing boiler and flue and 250 litre Heatae Sadia mega-flow unvented hot water cylinder. What do you think?

do you fill the 5 beds?

As above if the 5 bedrooms are all full you will prob need a bigger cylinder, or a rapid heating cylinder/coil!

I live with my husband, 4 year old and baby. we plan to have one more child in the future. The 5th bedroom will be used as a gym.

I live with my husband, 4 year old and baby. we plan to have one more child in the future. The 5th bedroom will be used as a gym.

you will be fine with a 250ltr might be worth an ask how much extra a 300ltr would cost you to be future proof

438 sounds rather large, unless the 5 bed house is also rather large?

And there are many better cylinders than megaflow. Whenever I see that I see them as a 'lazy' / easy option by the individual, and wouldn't be surprised therefore if the items that he's quoted for although as mentioned above are pretty essential are also overpriced.

Megaflow is utter rubbish in hard water . But you do have a softener so ....

I would go for an acv sL it's the best and descales itself!

You need all of them except the limescale inhibitor as you have a softner im installing a harvey softner in my pad today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quote from Plumber - What are worth doing? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock