Search the forum,

Discuss Quick drop of advice pls guys - hollow blocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmheat

Gas Engineer
Hey all

In the process of a bbu to combi conversion this weekend, I've only just been able to identify the gable end in the loft where I'm mounting the boiler is of "hollow block" construction I think....large rectangular blocks with horizontal likes running across, they definately sound hollow when you knock on the bloody thing.

What's the best options for mounting this logic on it? I'm not even gonna attempt conventional fixings or thunderbolts. Do I need to chem fix it?

thanks in advance guys

dan

large sheet of 3/4 ply first and then a sheet of asbestolux if needed, then fix to that. If its really **** poor, I have built a stud wall in the past and worked off that, as you can tie the studs to wall plates etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok great, need more advice though around that. Size for stud work? 2x3 2x4? What fixings shall I use to secure the studs to the conventional house bricks I can tie onto? Never had to build a stud wall for a boiler yet but I'm accepting the challenge :) lol

Like lame said id either screw ply wood to blocks or knock up a 2" x 2" frame and screw the ply 12 or 18mm to the frame , if you use enough sheet you can neatly screw all your pipe clips with ease, , if your puting it up the loft is it going onto gable for a horizontal flue or are you using a vertical flue, ? reason i ask is because if you were using a vertical flue then you can simply screw your frame to existing rafters , just a thought dm , If horiontal forget that last bit, cheers

Thanks for the great info guys :) what fixings for securing the stud work to the wall/blocks?

I like to use either hammer fixings or simply red raw plugs with good size screws as it takes a great hold,

Yeh of course 3"x2" or 4"x2" is ideal and i only said 2"x2" because its cheaper to by , but as long as the screws are long enough to go through then your spot on,

Good luck im sure you'l be fine , it will be no problem to a man of your can of beer,

before spending hours knocking up a frame try drilling and fixing a screw into the wall. If it holds well then bang it on the blocks.

Logic will fix fine into these blocks. Center bracket over vertical joint and just so top is above horizontal one. The blocks have a solid edge. If on ply no asbestolux required for logic.

Thanks for the info guys! In the end I spent a couple of hours making up and fixing the stud frame and plyboards.

Ermintrude...oh bugger! Lol. Could've saved myself a whole lot of stress today if I knew that! Really need to improve my construction skills and awareness. Comes with experience I guess, I've been a service and repair guy for almost 12 years straight from school but really enjoying the installs I'm doing for myself now

Thanks again to everyone today, bunch of leg ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Quick drop of advice pls guys - hollow blocks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock