Currently reading:
Pump Inspection

Discuss Pump Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DEMPSEY1965

Hi Everyone,

My shower pump has been playing up and for me to be able to inspect/remove etc I have had to drain the cold water tank because of a jammed gate valve. I have opened all the taps showers etc to release all the water in the system but I still have water dripping from the shower outlet suggesting water is still present. I don't want to remove the hoses just in case water shoots everywhere. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make sure all the water is out of the pipework so I can remove the pump safely with no mess.

Many thanks

Are you on a gravity hot system and if so, does the hot side come off the side of your cylinder? If thats the case then you will need to run the level down below that if theres no valve

Hi Yes,

The feed is from the side about 6 inches from the top.

As the hot feed to shower is lower than the feed from top of cylinder to rest of house, you will have to allow hot to drain. It should have been fitted with a lever valve, to allow servicing or removing pump.

Hi

Yes it has a service valve but like so many didn't shut off supply. While you are here I am trying get rid of an air lock in my upstairs shower and I need to suck the water down but don't have anything suitable,any suggestions. It is an Aqualisa cartridge which mixes the water before sending to the pump. Don't have either hot or cold coming out and have turned off the pump.

Many thanks.

try it with head off, if not, if you have a mixer tap, cover your hand over the top so no water can escape, turn hot on full, then turn cold on, the pressure of the main should push back down the hot and hopefully clear the airlock through the open vent

The shower is built in to the wall with own cold and hot feeds,is it safer to suck down the way or blast up?

just remove head from shower, see if you get any water when turned on, if not use kitchen sink mixer and try what i said

The shower is built in to the wall with own cold and hot feeds,is it safer to suck down the way or blast up?

Not sure if this is going to be possible for you, but if you can turn water off & disconnect pipes blow them clear, & reconnect, turn water on & often sorted.

No luck still nothing any other suggestions does it matter when the settings on the shower are turned to,ie hot/cold shower closed etc.

Best, I have had both the pipes off the pump in the loft and still can't suck/blow anything through.

Best, I have had both the pipes off the pump in the loft and still can't suck/blow anything through.
Can need a lot of lung strength to blow through any longish runs of pipes with a lot water lying in them. Needs a few goes at it.
DONT try too hard, in case you harm yourself!

Last edited:
Right gonna see if I can ger hold of a wet vac. I f not will try and rig something up to the mains and connect it to the hose end.Just frightened I am going to burst something like a joint etc. What shall I put the control on,hot or cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back