Discuss Over charging. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hunterseye

Just been asked how much to remove a rad for decorating. I know its standard stuff and not a massive job. Am i over charging at 20 quid?

I wouldn't like to be starting out in this game now to do that.

I've studied for 35 years to gain just about every trade related qualification out there and others, spent well over 50k on tools, spent over 100k on vans and i stopped enjoying it years ago. I don't have an NVQ either :smile:

It is not quite like fine wine as you'll find out in about 20 years when the pain kicks in.

Tamz, I think everybody on the forum would agree by your posts and advice that your wealth of knowledge is enviable,invaluable and unbeatable.That said your experiences of the trade seem to suggest you are somewhat disalusioned. There is still plenty of work to be had out there you just have to take take the job by the balls and have some confidence, sure you will make mistakes but that's all part of the learning curve.Its not repeating them that counts.When your sat at home with your pipe and slippers reaping the rewards of your labour its us new boys who will be the next generation who are taking their business forward. I base this on my own experience, my business is going from strength to strength with more and more repeat business coming in and im sure im not the only one.
Bob.

I agree with parts of this,the College decides what qual is gonna be and can change what and when they feel like it as my self and other people have found out since last year.They are stopping the scheme where you will just do the class room training and it will be where you have to be on site.

All FE colleges have been given a deadline for ending the practice of 100% college based NVQ training, which covers all training sectors, e.g. plumbing, catering, etc, etc.

The colleges will be moving towards Diploma qualifications, C&G, etc.

The Government have effectively cut funding to FE colleges - they say they have made £xxxxx.000's available for apprenticeships, but as many businesses are struggling to keep the staff on they have at the moment, the Government's pledging of cash is pretty safe, i.e. it won't be taken up.

There needs to be coordination and long-term planning of training, and of course the business environment at national level - most politicians haven't been interested in skills training, the focus having been on University education, which they've now managed to make a mess of.

Most of the dimwits in Westminster think in terms of: blue collar - white collar, i.e working with your head, or your hands, they don't get the idea that both increasingly play a part in today's world where things are constantly changing and becoming more technical.

Vince Cable occasionally says something sensible, but then Nick calls him in to give him a metaphorical slap for talking out of turn.

This country would be best served if the Tories hived off business development and related growth to the LD,s, thus giving Vince Cable a shot at getting things going again. The idea that the Tories are good at business is old hat - maybe in the days of Ted Heath there were people in his cabinet that were self-made men, but that's not the case these days. Silver spoon brigade now! Same goes for the Labour Party.

All FE colleges have been given a deadline for ending the practice of 100% college based NVQ training, which covers all training sectors, e.g. plumbing, catering, etc, etc.

The colleges will be moving towards Diploma qualifications, C&G, etc.

The Government have effectively cut funding to FE colleges - they say they have made £xxxxx.000's available for apprenticeships, but as many businesses are struggling to keep the staff on they have at the moment, the Government's pledging of cash is pretty safe, i.e. it won't be taken up.

There needs to be coordination and long-term planning of training, and of course the business environment at national level - most politicians haven't been interested in skills training, the focus having been on University education, which they've now managed to make a mess of.

Most of the dimwits in Westminster think in terms of: blue collar - white collar, i.e working with your head, or your hands, they don't get the idea that both increasingly play a part in today's world where things are constantly changing and becoming more technical.

Vince Cable occasionally says something sensible, but then Nick calls him in to give him a metaphorical slap for talking out of turn.

This country would be best served if the Tories hived off business development and related growth to the LD,s, thus giving Vince Cable a shot at getting things going again. The idea that the Tories are good at business is old hat - maybe in the days of Ted Heath there were people in his cabinet that were self-made men, but that's not the case these days. Silver spoon brigade now! Same goes for the Labour Party.

I got away with not paying for my level 2 but got to pay for my level 3 as funding has already been cut.Diploma is already in force with City and Guilds anyway. AQF is also a new Qual but also a bridge over from say 6129 to 6189 or what ever it is.The funny thing is the college dont no alot about the bridge over yet with it being new lol

We've not even been offered lev 3 Rick. It's a case of thanks for your money,there's the door oh and sorry for ripping you off over 60 hours on the course coz we couldn't manage to keep hold of not one or two but 5 lecturers. And people wonder why my knowloedge is limited. So you find yourself asking, what next? The only conclusion i came to was roll my sleeves up and try.

Personally speaking, I learnt a lot on my apprenticeship and tbh I wouldn't be half as good as I am if I'd not gained that experience. College taught me nothing about the practicalities of doing the job. I'm not saying you need an NVQ to get on, but walking out of college and setting up on your own does not make you competent in my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We've not even been offered lev 3 Rick. It's a case of thanks for your money,there's the door oh and sorry for ripping you off over 60 hours on the course coz we couldn't manage to keep hold of not one or two but 5 lecturers. And people wonder why my knowloedge is limited. So you find yourself asking, what next? The only conclusion i came to was roll my sleeves up and try.

You will be able to do the new Qual mate its a bridge over.Level 3 is surposed to be hard more indepth with heating,bit of gas and all the engergy stuff.In level 2 we are just scratching the surface with heating

I got away with not paying for my level 2 but got to pay for my level 3 as funding has already been cut.Diploma is already in force with City and Guilds anyway. AQF is also a new Qual but also a bridge over from say 6129 to 6189 or what ever it is.The funny thing is the college dont no alot about the bridge over yet with it being new lol

Diplomas have been around for the past 5 years or so - the colleges were put on notice of the issues around NVQ some years back too, having been given time to adjust.

To be fair to the colleges, they don't really know what to allow for. The Government plans suggested that there would be a demand for one-day-a week courses based on apprenticeships, but then the scale talked about was unrealistic, and as the recession has bitten harder and harder, so there is less chance of creating college courses that have work placements.

The abolition of the Adult Learning Grant was given hardly any coverage by the media. The media colluded with politicians by focusing on EMA, which they justified the scrapping of by saying that kids didn't need paying to stay on at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Over charging. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock