Search the forum,

Discuss Once and for all why you build TWO SEPARATE TAPS??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there guys,

There are many jokes around internet about British taps, that instead of putting mixer you guys make two separate taps. Why the hell you do it? Explain it to the whole world were is the logic?From customers perspective of view that's very uneconomical, uncomfortable and not efficient.

One of the example:

[video]https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.4659-2/15021316_1313497842028505_3415319025540923392_n.mp 4?oh=35e47a8e8a29865b6d8bc91f5148b013&oe=58237B27[/video]

Heard many theories my own theory is that when basins with taps first started being mass produced probably hundreds of years ago the creators were looking for specific needs of people at that time as well as anything in the plumbing systems at the time which made the split necessary. Like many other house features from bygone earas that stick in Britain this one has stuck as well. Other countries just move on but we like our heritage.

Last edited:
Separate taps, and associated properly bent and connected copper pipes will, in service, be less problematic than mixer taps that require flexible connections. Throw away the plastic backnuts and replace with brass, and firm, non rotating fixing to basin is ensured. This advantage is less when pushfit connections and flexible hose is used to replace copper.

We British were more clever than other nationalities and used 2 separate taps because,
1, Different pressure water supplies won't be able to mix, whereas unbalanced mixer taps can back flow causing potential water contamination, overflowing cold storage tanks and other problems, if not fitted with check valves.

2, The separate taps tended to be better flow and suitable for poor pressure like with gravity.

3, You can wash your hair easier with separate taps because they don't project out into middle of basin.

I wish we still could buy the old quality British taps, because this foreign muck is causing enormous expense to people

Hi there guys,

There are many jokes around internet about British taps, that instead of putting mixer you guys make two separate taps. Why the hell you do it? Explain it to the whole world were is the logic?From customers perspective of view that's very uneconomical, uncomfortable and not efficient.

One of the example:

[video]https://video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.4659-2/15021316_1313497842028505_3415319025540923392_n.mp 4?oh=35e47a8e8a29865b6d8bc91f5148b013&oe=58237B27[/video]

We don't move with the times as much as others
We prefer to wash our hands (and face) then swill off the soap in scoiling hot water, then freezing cold water (then repeat 3 times)
It's just the way we roll

Now we got Brexit can we go back to british standards, and get proper taps that are full flow?
And don't get me started on them pathetic stooooopid drop valves in cisterns!

I like to drink my drinkable water , why spoil it to be like everyone else .

For the sake of ART -vs- engineering !

( Sounds like a punch up at the Poly-technic / College )

I think we ended up with two taps because for many years we only had cold water. When hot became available it was usually from a gas heater, or similar, over the sink. When hot was then plumbed in proper it would have been cheaper to simply add another tap.
That's my theory anyway.
I'm only in my fifties and I can clearly remember my mum lighting the pilot light on the gas heater over the bath, and we lived in a brand new council house.

I'm sick of appeasing my customers by removing water restrictors out of taps and showerheads so they can fill their sinks quicker and have a descent shower.

At one job I even reverted to drilling out the outlet hole of a bath mixer to get descent water flow.
The outlet hole was 6mm, I made it 10mm. Customer thought I was a genius, Rep said I had voided warranty.
Told the Rep he was selling bath mixers that were doing 9 litres a minute, so minimum 10 minutes to fill a bath.
Now it fills in less than 4 minutes.
Asked the question, why restrict water flow on a bath mixer? Not going to save any water when filling a bath.

I have a knack of rubbing people up the wrong way. ( believe it or not )
Gee the Rep was upset when I sorted the problem.

Long episode - I blamed the tap, the Rep blamed the plumbing, customer blamed me more than the tap / Rep.
Point was proven and my issue with them both was over.
I didn't hang around afterwards to see the outcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Once and for all why you build TWO SEPARATE TAPS??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock