Discuss NVQ LEVEL 2 (6189) Partime? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rich2012

Hi
I need a change of career, I am 28 and i work part time and i need to get out of a dead end job. I was planning to do the 6189 C&G course, I have had a little experience already as my brother is a plumber and he can take me on part time. He has completed the earlier courses and said i will be fine.

Question 1: Could i complete year 1 doing it part time?
Question 2: I know i have to do onsite assesments on the last units, Would this only occur in the 2nd year or would i also have assesments in the 1st year?

Hello Rich,:welcome:
First thing is that having a brother willing to take you on puts you in a good position.
you would be best to get advice direct from the course provider you hope to learn with,
don't be unduly worried about the assessments.

My worry is that with me working parttime i wont have put enough hours in if the assesments are in the 1st year.

Also another question it, My brother has only been a plumber for 4 yrs - Ive heard that he has to have 5yrs books - Is this true?

Hi Rich.
I did a C&G 6128 & 6088 (NVQ2) with a compnay called New Career SKills as a part time course over 18 months, started it in 2009, it was titled as a plumbing and green engineers (renewables) course. Personally I found it met all my needs as an adult learner (35 years old). I was in a full time career with public service, but decided to start my own business combined with re-training, so two massive steps for me. It worked really well for me, as the structure of the course meant I would do some theory study in my own time, then complete a weeks training at the training centre, then off to do more study at home. The course meant I did 7 one week in centre training, and it took me about 18months to complete. So this meant I could still work and earn a wage.
I had some DIY trade skills already which is a real help when doing the course, but not essential. I would strongly recommend that if you do follow the NCS, or any other providers course, you get some experience outside of the in-centre weeks to build on your knowledge and skills that you obtain during the course, which if working with your family sounds ideal experience.
It is not a fix-it and get quals quick course, as that would be no use to man or beast, but it gives a fab start and grounding in my opinion.
I was very wary at first of such courses and did loads of research, before I split with my hard earned cash. The NCS, personally, fitted all my requirements. The best advice I could give is do your research, go and speak to an advisor, visit their training centres and talk to tutors and students alike. If you like what you see then go for it.
For me they have offered a lot of “after” service, such as work experience, work leads, shadowing workers for my jobs and additional paid workers for jobs I have been stuck on. You put in what you get out I believe.
You will find negative comments about NCS and other providers, but hey, aren’t people more prepared to complain and moan than they are to compliment and praise.
Hope that helps. Message back or give me a bell if you want to discuss more.
I run my own company, www.jspmltd.com, largeley thanks to the confidence the courses gave me.
Good luck. Dave.

Hi
I need a change of career, I am 28 and i work part time and i need to get out of a dead end job. I was planning to do the 6189 C&G course, I have had a little experience already as my brother is a plumber and he can take me on part time. He has completed the earlier courses and said i will be fine.

Question 1: Could i complete year 1 doing it part time?
Question 2: I know i have to do onsite assesments on the last units, Would this only occur in the 2nd year or would i also have assesments in the 1st year?

can be done part time or any format a centre is willing to offer you.

you must do all on site assessments and build a port folio of evidence but this can be any time over the duration of the course

Hi Rich.
I did a C&G 6128 & 6088 (NVQ2) with a compnay called New Career SKills as a part time course over 18 months, started it in 2009, it was titled as a plumbing and green engineers (renewables) course.
Good luck. Dave.

these are the H&V courses, shouldnt really call them plumbing but they are closely lnked yes

My worry is that with me working parttime i wont have put enough hours in if the assesments are in the 1st year.

Also another question it, My brother has only been a plumber for 4 yrs - Ive heard that he has to have 5yrs books - Is this true?

not sure what you mean?

these are the H&V courses, shouldnt really call them plumbing but they are closely lnked yes

Quite right ... 6129 / 6089 are the plumbing quals and with the level 2 you still cannot refer to yourself as 'qualified'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ LEVEL 2 (6189) Partime? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back