Discuss Nightmare time with Worcester Bosch repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

Was wandering if anyone can tell me if a competent boiler repair man should be able to detect a leak on an isolation valve to the boiler fairly easily. Worcester Bosch repair men came out 10 weeks ago to repair what was a leaking left flow unit. They also took boiler apart and replaced a few other things just in case that could leak (prv and expansion vessel). To cut a long story short I've had continuing pressure loss since they came out, one bar every 2 weeks. They kept telling me it couldn't be the boiler but I kept running isolation tests which proved to be the boiler. In all they've come out 7 times and 4 times there has been a leak on the left and right isolation valves. They tried tightening one, then replacing both washers, then replacing the right valve and now hopefully they are coming back to replace the left valve which still looks to be leaking.
Their attitude has been horrible, they are now unwilling to come out again they said if there is a continuing pressure loss after their visit today. I've had this worry for 10 weeks, had to run 4 isolation tests, had to take 8 days off work for their all day appointments getting up very early. I don't think I should have had to go through this. They kept telling me I had practically a new boiler so not to worry about the pressure drop. I think they should have ran some sort of isolation test on the second visit to determine where the leak was and properly diagnose it first (on the second visit they actually put in a new heat exchanger instead of finding the valve leak). Can any competent boiler repair man tell me what they think please?

Hi

Was wandering if anyone can tell me if a competent boiler repair man should be able to detect a leak on an isolation valve to the boiler fairly easily. Worcester Bosch repair men came out 10 weeks ago to repair what was a leaking left flow unit. They also took boiler apart and replaced a few other things just in case that could leak (prv and expansion vessel). To cut a long story short I've had continuing pressure loss since they came out, one bar every 2 weeks. They kept telling me it couldn't be the boiler but I kept running isolation tests which proved to be the boiler. In all they've come out 7 times and 4 times there has been a leak on the left and right isolation valves. They tried tightening one, then replacing both washers, then replacing the right valve and now hopefully they are coming back to replace the left valve which still looks to be leaking.
Their attitude has been horrible, they are now unwilling to come out again they said if there is a continuing pressure loss after their visit today. I've had this worry for 10 weeks, had to run 4 isolation tests, had to take 8 days off work for their all day appointments getting up very early. I don't think I should have had to go through this. They kept telling me I had practically a new boiler so not to worry about the pressure drop. I think they should have ran some sort of isolation test on the second visit to determine where the leak was and properly diagnose it first (on the second visit they actually put in a new heat exchanger instead of finding the valve leak). Can any competent boiler repair man tell me what they think please?
I understand from my links in hvac land that WB have got problems. Their team is 300 strong but due to quality issues with their boilers in past few years the waiting time has increased dramatically and properly trained engineers are in short supply.

If it were me and I was trying to prove a point, I would:

Isolate the boiler from the heating system.
Plug the PRV valve outlet with a 'plug'
Using a test bucket, pump the boiler up to a pressure of 3 bar, ( the boiler should be able to stand the pressure of the relief valve setting ) and have a look around for leaks.

That would be the only way to determine if the boiler has a leak.

If it were me and I was trying to prove a point, I would:

Isolate the boiler from the heating system.
Plug the PRV valve outlet with a 'plug'
Using a test bucket, pump the boiler up to a pressure of 3 bar, ( the boiler should be able to stand the pressure of the relief valve setting ) and have a look around for leaks.

That would be the only way to determine if the boiler has a leak.

Thanks for your replies.
I don't think they carry out diagnostic tests very well and just replace a load of things that are known to leak and call it a day. Yesterday they've put a large gauge on the radiator and one on the boiler. Pumped it up to 2 bar. They wanted to come back yesterday after only 3 hours, which I knew would show nothing. I insisted a later time. They're coming back this afternoon, both gauges have dropped about 0.15 of a bar that they are yet to see. The left isolation valve on boiler looks a little wet. Maybe their is also a small leak somewhere on underfloor pipes. But definitely also the boiler has leaked. I told them over the phone the boiler gauge has dropped. They've told me they won't come out to me again after today and coming to collect their things. Even though last week they promised if the gauge dropped on the boiler I need not worry it was their problem to get to the bottom of it. So they have gone back on their word, they said they won't charge me and that i'd have to use another engineer. I just hope they at least replace the left valve.

Thanks for your replies.
I don't think they carry out diagnostic tests very well and just replace a load of things that are known to leak and call it a day. Yesterday they've put a large gauge on the radiator and one on the boiler. Pumped it up to 2 bar. They wanted to come back yesterday after only 3 hours, which I knew would show nothing. I insisted a later time. They're coming back this afternoon, both gauges have dropped about 0.15 of a bar that they are yet to see. The left isolation valve on boiler looks a little wet. Maybe their is also a small leak somewhere on underfloor pipes. But definitely also the boiler has leaked. I told them over the phone the boiler gauge has dropped. They've told me they won't come out to me again after today and coming to collect their things. Even though last week they promised if the gauge dropped on the boiler I need not worry it was their problem to get to the bottom of it. So they have gone back on their word, they said they won't charge me and that i'd have to use another engineer. I just hope they at least replace the left valve.

I just looked at both boiler isolation valves and they both still looked wet on top. I did a tissue test and it was moist on both of them. Even though they'd changed the right valve yesterday. Could it just need tighening up or should they have used something else in the nut to stop it leaking?

0.15 of a bar is too indecisive.

Do you have plastic piping or copper piping. Plastic expands to pressure and hence reduce pressure readings on gauges.

That amount of pressure drop could be the temperature of the water lowering also.

It could also be attributed to the bladder in the expansion tank adjusting to the set pressures.

The only way you are going to get to the bottom of it is to test the boiler separately and the heating system separately.

Thanks for the information. I've got a mixture of plastic and copper pipes. Upstairs where the boiler is mostly plastic. The boiler/ heating had been cold over night before running the isolation test so not cooling down. I thought it strange the boiler and radiator gauges have both dropped at almost the same rate, they are being tested separated with the boiler isolated from the radiators (valves turned to horizontal). Unless the valves leak inside which would explain the same pressure drop.
There is definitely moisture on the boiler valves though, could these account for a 0.15 bar pressure drop?

Have they isolated the boiler from the system? A 0.15 bar drop could just be a temperature drop.

Small leaks are notoriously tricky to locate as a lot of pipework and fittings are hidden in floors, walls and ceilings. The isolation valves under most boilers are a nightmare touch them at your peril. Can almost guarantee when you touch them they will start leaking.

Worcester are well known (especially round me) for just throwing parts at the boiler as the engineers get penalised for return calls I believe.

When you do an isolation test how long do you leave it? Do you make sure the water temperature is exactly the same both times? Breakdown engineers are usually very time limited and especially this time of year so they can't just sit there for 12 hours to test.

Reply to Nightmare time with Worcester Bosch repairs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock