Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss My electric shower just went bang! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just stumbled across your website, and it looks great! Hope you can help me!

I turned on my electric shower at the weekend, and whilst getting undressed to step into it, there was a loud bang! from the shower unit and it cut-out. It was installed brand new around 15-18 months ago (it's a straightforward electric shower), albeit with existing fuses/cabling/switches from the previous shower.
I appreciate it could be any number of causes, but how/where do you recommend i start to look?
p.s. the rcd fuse had tripped, so later in the day i reset it, ran the shower on the cold setting for a few minutes, but as i slowly increased the temperature it went bang again.

On no account use it again until it`s been looked at !

Looked inside one for a neighbour last year after making certain the power supply was off and found burnt wiring inside.

What make of shower ? Who fitted it ? is it larger Kw than old shower ? (e.g. 7.5 Kw to a 10.5 Kw)

What make of shower ? Who fitted it ? is it larger Kw than old shower ? (e.g. 7.5 Kw to a 10.5 Kw)

Was also thinking along those lines jts, guess a 7.5 to 8.5Kw with old wiring might last 15 - 18 months. ?

Thanks for your comments guys. I did remove the cover and there no signs of burnt out wiring, which surprised me! The shower is a Galaxy Obsession 9.5kw. The cabling is 10mm. The rcd is 40amp. The cabling runs through my loft, approx 5 metres in total from the fuse box to the shower unit. I fitted it myself, and although i'm not an electrician, i'm a competent diy'er. However, i'm out of my depth here, hence posting on here, and what i'd like to know is should i call in an electrician or can i do some tests myself? I don't want to just rush out and purchase a new shower unit, as it's possible the problem lies elsewhere?

A new shower will be cheaper than paying electrician plus parts to mend existing. If you want to mend yourself confirm fault in heating element by checking resistance. Isolate until fixed/replaced.

Have you tried fault finding in the make/model of shower? Or even called the tech dept to ask their advice?

There's something not quite right as we all know.

I'd recommend looking at the fault finding or making a call.

probably be out of warranty now, you can try calling them but if no good then just swap out for a similar one. Mira and Triton make the best electric showers IMO.

Thanks for your comments guys. I did remove the cover and there no signs of burnt out wiring, which surprised me! The shower is a Galaxy Obsession 9.5kw. The cabling is 10mm. The rcd is 40amp. The cabling runs through my loft, approx 5 metres in total from the fuse box to the shower unit. I fitted it myself, and although i'm not an electrician, i'm a competent diy'er.

Not an electrician so just highlighting 10mm cable over 5m for others to comment on. Thought it was more to do with diameter of core cables rather than overall diameter.

Just had a chat with a pal of mine who is an electrician, recons 10mm cable 5 to 6 mts is borderline for that size shower

Strange it's taken 15 - 18mths to start to trip out.

Makes me think it's a shower issue.

I'd be replacing it, cheap as chips these days.

Make sure casing not obstructed / built in , lots of modern stuff wants to breathe
( as it loudly pops .. rather than losing cover ! )
We cannot be your eyes , so an experienced 2nd pair is still a good option .

On a Mira site is states 9.5kw shower with 10mm twin & earth should be 45a with a cable max run of 4m.

all i will say is

YOU CANT FIT ANY ELECTRICS/APPLIANCE IN THE BATHROOM UNLESS YOUR A QUALIFIED SPARKY AS IT A NOTIFIABLE AREA

LEAVE THE SPARKS TO THE SPARKS

all i will say is

YOU CANT FIT ANY ELECTRICS/APPLIANCE IN THE BATHROOM UNLESS YOUR A QUALIFIED SPARKY AS IT A NOTIFIABLE AREA

Good advice. Insulation tests and RCD operation time best checked with each installation.

Good advice. Insulation tests and RCD operation time best checked with each installation.

if he has installed a rcd (which it requires op)

needs a bigger rcd.
sounds like the element is overheating and tripping out, the bang could be the water shutting off!

could be a faulty shower overall, call them to service. or an electrician to trace.
might be even a earth leakage to pipes, is it bonded?

Just had a chat with a pal of mine who is an electrician, recons 10mm cable 5 to 6 mts is borderline for that size shower

I am not an electrician, but I doubt that. 5 or 6 metres is a very short distance. Shower MIs also tend to keep on the very extreme safe side. 6mm cable will put a lot of power through it, so 10mm is plenty for 9.5kw. Have you ever noticed how small a cable supplying a meter to an entire house is and on a 100amp fuse?
One thing that MIs don't like is cable run in insulation or conduit for long distances.

Last edited:
all i will say is

Was thinking I`d read this but wasn`t confident enough to post it.

Shaun, No need to shout man. lol

I am not an electrician, but I doubt that. 5 or 6 metres is a very short distance. Shower MIs also tend to keep on the very extreme safe side. 6mm cable will put a lot of power through it, so 10mm is plenty for 9.5kw. Have you ever noticed how small a cable supplying a meter to an entire house is and on a 100amp fuse?
One thing that MIs don't like is cable run in insulation or conduit for long distances.

you are right i would of said something but didnt want to go of topic but depending on which method you use (installation) 10mm will carry 55 amps and in a max sort of way the max you could go is 65m

zs and ze rubbish

short of it (11.5 x 1000) ÷ (4.4 x 40) = 65m (thats with a load about 45amps)

Last edited:
Was thinking I`d read this but wasn`t confident enough to post it.

Shaun, No need to shout man. lol

:D naaa

Thanks for all your help guys, i had an electrician look at it last night, and it is indeed the heating element in the shower that has gone. Dissappointing as it was barely over a year old (although it was purchased around 5 years ago but sat in my loft for 4 years!). He checked out the wiring etc and everything else is fine, so i'm now in search of a new shower. See new post........:vanish:

you are right i would of said something but didnt want to go of topic but depending on which method you use (installation) 10mm will carry 55 amps and in a max sort of way the max you could go is 65m

zs and ze rubbish

short of it (11.5 x 1000) ÷ (4.4 x 40) = 65m (thats with a load about 45amps)

I might appear a bit silly here but what do the figures elate to?
I get the calculation result of 65mtrs but where does the 11.5 x 1000 & the 4,4 x 40 come from?

Just trying to learn something :)

Thanks for your comments guys. I did remove the cover and there no signs of burnt out wiring, which surprised me! The shower is a Galaxy Obsession 9.5kw. The cabling is 10mm. The rcd is 40amp. The cabling runs through my loft, approx 5 metres in total from the fuse box to the shower unit. I fitted it myself, and although i'm not an electrician, i'm a competent diy'er. However, i'm out of my depth here, hence posting on here, and what i'd like to know is should i call in an electrician or can i do some tests myself? I don't want to just rush out and purchase a new shower unit, as it's possible the problem lies elsewhere?

You have committed a criminal offence by fitting that shower yourself if it was not signed of by building control. It's the electrical version of DIY gas boiler repair and fitting. Fitting that shower is notifiable to building controls under Part P for a reason. Get a qualified self certifying electrician in. I am surprised only Shaun has picked this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My electric shower just went bang! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock