Discuss Making a diy decarbonizing heater for my bbq gear?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
So just a thought, do you think it is possible to use a 40ltr garden waste bin by just putting an immersion heater in the lid and just put a plug on the cable and plug it into a socket for in my garage? Maybe set it to 50degrees? Am pretty sure the plastic would not melt at this temperature.

What do you reckon?

If so, can you buy a female tank connector this side?

I hate scrubbing bbq stuff!!!

Or maybe use a stainless steel bin?

Ideas would be great

Thanks

What's the power rating of the immersion heater? Immersion heaters are usually on their own circuit due to high current requirement - not just plugged in to a socket. I hate to think what regulations you would be breaking?!

See if you can get hold of an old Burco wash boiler. Would do exactly what you want. Alternatively look for a home brew boiler, I used to have one called a Brew heat boiler.

Really? A bit Heath Robinson and not something you'd do for a customer / professionally but it doesn't sound too bad to me. A single element will normally be around 3KW so will run fine off a domestic socket.

What's the worst that could happen assuming you put it on a concrete garage floor?

1) Element oversized: plug fuse blows
2) Both element stats fail and the water exceeds tank melting point: wet garage, knackered element.

If you had a galv tank you could adapt then, as long as you x-bond the earthing properly, even better!

thanks guys, the home brewing kit is pretty much the same idea. And that is plastic they use too. My garage is on its onw circuit from consumer unit with rcd. So, do you think i can just put a plug on and plug it in? If so, where will i get a tank connector for immersion heat thread?

Garage is also a concrete floor. So to be honest. like you say wheeto, whats the risks?

Why not wait until you rip a cylinder out and cut the top off it?

Immersion will be ok on a plug top just about, just make sure you use the correct size cable.

Seems an expensive way to wash the dishes though!

Tank melts electric cable drops into water(probably wont happen but who knows)

Last edited by a moderator:
Risks:
1) Open tank of hot water
2) Immersion heater in a plastic container
3) Immersion heater not correctly wired i.e. on its own circuit

What you do in your own garage is up to you, until someone else gets hurt. If you know the risks and want to tinker then carry on:)

Open tank of hot water

What open tank? OP mentions putting the heater in the lid which probably isn't such a good idea as the water level will drop with evaporation but there's no reason to assume the lid has to be left off.

Tank melted where connected to heater , water escapes , nice stinky plastic fire !

( fairly sure heater flange wants something that takes the heat away )

Like Wheeto, i don't see any real problem with it but i wouldn't use a plastic bucket. Best ideal would be wait till you remove a hw cylinder with a side entry and cut the top off at whatever height you like. Dress the edge of the cut off top so it fits over the lower part, a bent male and a bit pipe for a handle. An insulated cylinder will keep the costs down a bit. You better put a bit tape over the cut edges or better fold a welt to stop it cutting you.
Std immersion elements are 3kw (13 amp @ 230v). The same as a lot of electric heaters so no big problem plugging it in. If it is a 2kw element it will draw under 9 amp.

i have thought about this one tamz, but i have not had a side entry cylinder as yet. Really need it to be direct as well as the coil will be in the way on an indirect

A bit of commen sense and latteral thinking, no probs!! second hand cylinder probably the easiest / best option though, could you cut the coil out from the inside and cap off the tappings!!

just had another thought!!! if you get an indirect with a bottom entry immersion, cut off the top, cap off the coil tappings and cut most of the coil leaving the lowest most part coil in place, thus giving you a kinda shelf to rest the bbq rack on without it touching the immersion.

Any cylinder would do. A coil is easily blanked off using 2 x 1" brass plugs and jamb nuts and you can solder an immersion into the side with a bit grade D wiped around it. Or as ^^

I dare say if you cut the top off, you could cut out the immersiom boss and solder it back in at the bottom!

If all you have is a 27" top entry just fold it in half (not too tight on the bend)

thanks guys. I have a 48inch top entry in the garage. When i took the immersion out after applying heat, i ripped the copper out and not the thread. Sorry tamz if i seem daft, but would do you mean fold it in half? Adm, like the idea of leaving part of the coil for a shelf

I just soak my barbie grille in dilute caustic soda for an hour and then jet wash it :)

No scrubbing and it comes up like new.

also, whats grade D? I get ya i think, fold the cylinder in where i cut it

Grade D plumbers solder
grade d.jpg
Sold in 1lb bars, 30/70 tin/lead used for wiping joints. Drill a 2½" hole, tin (apply solder) about an 1½ around the hole. Stick the immersion (it is made of brass) in and wipe a joint with grade D (a bit greasy thin cardboard will do to wipe with if you don't have a moleskin). Cheaper than an essex flange :wink:
If your immersion is too long bend it in 2. Just don't go too tight on the radius but it willl bend tight enough to fit through the hole.
Simples as they say :lol:

Sell your BBQ and scrap the cylinder and buy disposable bbq's.

With the weather in this country you'll probably have a lifetimes supply, and no cleaning :)

disposable bbq's.

That's about as manly as getting rid of your Ferarri -for a reliant Robin !

The Hunter gatherer feels pride in his cooking ,
even smoked out under cover
" With a CO detector " just in case confuse feeling from alcohol
with CO poisoning !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Making a diy decarbonizing heater for my bbq gear?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back