Search the forum,

Discuss Lower the head height on a small village church. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve had a local church ask me to lower the cistern as it has no cold feed and no water on site to get it there. The boiler is a Powrmatic Sime and the old church warden is having to climb a 3m ladder with a watering can once a month. I went round and worked back from the tallest rad with a laser level and it’s around 2m above the boiler and the head tank is about 4m above the boiler. Just checked online and the manual says a 2m head is required so was wondering if you guys had any input to whether I can lower it to around 500 above rad height which would still give enough height from the boiler which sits below ground level.

If moving the tank is a worry could you arrange a lower cistern and a hand pump (or some kind of safe electric pump) Use the overflow to detect it's full?

Cheers,

Roy (amateur)

If the warden has kept on eye on how much he is filling it with then a pump as mentioned before is an easy option. You could lower the height of the tank but you still need to make sure there is enough head and that the pump suction pressure is not so low you might encounter cavitation.
The thing is though if he’s having to fill every three months that suggests a leak somewhere. I assume all pipe work is below ground?

Might be easier to supply a hand pump and hose pipe

Or saniflo

If the warden has kept on eye on how much he is filling it with then a pump as mentioned before is an easy option. You could lower the height of the tank but you still need to make sure there is enough head and that the pump suction pressure is not so low you might encounter cavitation.
The thing is though if he’s having to fill every three months that suggests a leak somewhere. I assume all pipe work is below ground?
Yeah all buried so not an easy leak fix.

Reply to Lower the head height on a small village church. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock