Search the forum,

Discuss Lower flow temperature in vented HWC w/immersion heater weekly cycle? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

C

combedcloud22

Newly bought home has somewhat older plumbing, but recently fitted condensing gas boiler & HW cylinder. System is open vented.
When we moved in we had a few control problems, engineer who fixed it replaced the programmer, said there were a few broken wires (which he somehow managed not to use) and the timer fitted to the immersion heater had gone bust so he just bypassed it (now has regular on/off switch, kept on off).

The system works smoothly now, but I can only set one temperature for both HW and CH. I note boiler has 2 temperature dials and I've read somewhere in this forum that it's possible to change the 3-port valve wiring to avoid the "middle" position and allow two different flow temperatures, but I would not venture doing that myself.

With the goal of reducing my bills, I am considering replacing the immersion heater timer myself, setting it to run weekly / biweekly as a legionella cycle, and set the flow temperature at 55~60 degrees. The 2 bathroom radiators are unfortunately plumbed in the HW circuit so I can't set them much lower.

Would that be:
1. Possible, and
2. Safe, and
3. More economical than just running the flow at 65~70 degrees with no immersion heater?

Or should I just ask an engineer to change whatever wiring is needed to allow 2 flow temperatures (if it's possible and they're qualified to do it)?

Reply to Lower flow temperature in vented HWC w/immersion heater weekly cycle? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock