Currently reading:
Love jobs

Discuss Love jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop

Love jobs.... Youre doing it for the 'love'

Jobs on the weekend for family and.... ahemm friends! (found you get a lot more when your gas safe qualified lol)

In this double dip... treble dip recession I've had to draw some boundaries of mates rates jobs on the wknds

Im a good boy my mum and sister I will always work for free (well maybe a small tokein amount) but its getting too much, anyone else or am I on my own here!

I just say I'm too busy when it comes to mates. Sometimes it's not worth the hassle. And have fallen out with some mates because it was "not what they thought it would look like".

If your working for a company then anything you do in your own time is extras, pocket money, evenings out, holiday money etc. If your working on your own you don't have this luxury. You can't leave a 'mates' or 'families' job to go to a paying customer so they SHOULD pay.

What I find is that they want mates rates but the same service you'd give a paying customer.

I will only work for my father in law for free, he's helped me in the past.

My own family live too far away (thankfully) to help them.

Btw on a point to secret made. I'm a frm believer that anyone that doesn't have their own registration or a registration that allows them to do extra jobs should be struck off.

It's not that I want to line gas safes pockets. I just hate it when I get undercut by an unregistered with no pli

If your working for a company then anything you do in your own time is extras, pocket money, evenings out, holiday money etc. If your working on your own you don't have this luxury. You can't leave a 'mates' or 'families' job to go to a paying customer so they SHOULD pay.

What I find is that they want mates rates but the same service you'd give a paying customer.

I will only work for my father in law for free, he's helped me in the past.

My own family live too far away (thankfully) to help them.

I don't mind a little 'mates rates' if I know the mate is useful in return. i.e. sparky / carpet fitter / decorator etc. Trouble is most aren't.

I agree that those who aren't offering mates services back but are still likely to want proper work and proper after service should pay proper money. Perhaps with a token deduction wherever you can make it.

I'm less clear on how to argue this tactfully. I had a go the other day. Explained I'd do it for normal rate but no charge for diesel driving 40 min round trip and I'd charge parts at cost. Apparently this wasn't good enough either.

I don't mind a little 'mates rates' if I know the mate is useful in return. i.e. sparky / carpet fitter / decorator etc. Trouble is most aren't.

I think the problem is with some other mates who are in the trade, when they need you they need you IMMEDIATELY! sparks goes through a pipe etc. And we go, when the shoe is on the other foot! you drill through a cable.... seems there always just toooooo busy.

I think the problem is with some other mates who are in the trade, when they need you they need you IMMEDIATELY! sparks goes through a pipe etc. And we go, when the shoe is on the other foot! you drill through a cable.... seems there always just toooooo busy.

Very true.

Love jobs are a thing of the past for me............................ I give them another plumbers number that i have worked with in the past and he does the same for me, I fitted his mums boiler last month!!!

just done a 7 rad heating system for £400 plus scrap(made £170 on scrap) for my cousin, split the £400 with bro scrappy cash I kept since I ripped it out. Still got a bit of snagging to do and 1st fix for the new kitchen, will be charging extra for the kitchen..

on the plus side, I got a £20 tip !!!!!!!!!

also splitting the £400 down the middle sucked because I done most of the work

Last edited:
Always done mothers, sisters & brothers work for free, however my mothers sister(my aunt)asked me to fit her new kitchen, took me 4 days never offered me a penny but handed me 2 bags of midget gems and a thanks.

Family & Close friends, I find it hard to tell them how much

I generally let them give me what they think is fair

Gquigley67 & Thor are the love job romeo's!!!!! You have cheered me up no end, I cant wait to fit my sisters electric shower

from now on I will be telling them to get a couple of quotes and I'll see what I can do...

or better yet maybe I will be in Oz by the time the next big project comes up...

I hope you still log on when in oz, would like to hear about it mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Love jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock