Search the forum,

Discuss Loud Banging After Heating Shutdown in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DEMPSEY1965

Can you Help?

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Ri that has started to make loud banging noises when the heating shuts off. It hasn't always done it but at the moment it is very loud,so loud in fact that it wakes the whole house up in the morning. Heating/hot water is fine and during normal operation no noises,just when the boiler shuts off that the noises start. The first is a thud/clunk noise then followed by maybe 6 or 7 loud bags. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the boiler is over heating to me.
I would suggest getting an enginnner out soon

Hi Thanks for the quick reply.

It was serviced about 2 months ago and I did ask the engineer. He said that it was a TRV that was placed on the return rather than the flow. Although this makes sense, the noises hasn't always been there,so why didn't it do it from the start? Was just curious to see if it could be anything else such as the boiler temp being turned up for winter etc.

Wait till you get the noise again and walk around house adjusting trv's to see if this is true

Ok thanks will try them 1 at a time shuting them off. So it has nothing to do with the temp being turned up?

The hot central heating water isn't leaving the boiler quickly enough once its stopped burning.

Is the pump over-run working?

Just had a though,if the water isn't leaving the boiler quick enough do you think it might be sludge in the pipes?About a year ago the kickboard heater in the kitchen was playing up. When I took it to bits there was a vast ammount of sludge which was stopping the flow and the thermostat from kicking in,do you think there might be more in there? Come to think of it the heater keeps stopping/starting.

It could be either the pump/pump overrun, or the actuator not operating correctly (unless the service has altered something)...

call plumber to re wire ch controls ! or list your location to get a trusted plumber member here to help you out before boiler gets damaged

Ok everybody,thanks for your help. I removed some sludge from the kick heater today and it has stopped,so will wait and see. Thanks again for everything.
Regards

Hi

No luck,sludge removed but still banging,have tried the TRV's and that didn't help,am at a complete loss.The annoying thing is it doesn't do it all the time.

Ok everybody,thanks for your help. I removed some sludge from the kick heater today and it has stopped,so will wait and see. Thanks again for everything.
Regards
The kick plate heaters are a nightmare for sludge build up. Mind you, last 2 I had bother with were drop fed!

Sounds like the heat isnt getting away from the boiler once it shuts off as already mentioned maybe no pump over run, but also to add if your getting that much sludge out of the kickspace i would recomend giving the system a good clean before you do any damage to the boiler.

Also is there a bypass in the system cos if you have 2x two port valves and no bypass the pump is pumping against a closed circuit

Hi thanks for your info. Pump over run? I have checked and the pump is still running after the heating shuts down,is that pump over run? As for bypass no idea. The boiler was fitted in July 2005 and has been maintained and serviced every year by Worcester Bosch. What baffles me is why should it start doing this now after all this time?

It a common issue, check that the pump is wired to the boiler. Had a few where the pump isnt wired back to the boiler and when the thermostat is run near max and boiler shuts off pump over run wont work as pump isnt wired back and it bangs like mad. To test it run boiler on a much lower temp and see if it cures the fault.
If pump isnt wired direct to the boiler its an installer fault. I would check wiring at the boiler end if as per other post's trv issue isnt the problem.

Worc's have a pump over run that when any heating demand ceases pump continues for a period of time to get rid of the heat from the boiler

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud Banging After Heating Shutdown in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock