Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss limescale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buffy27

the system is gravity fed dhw ... copper cylinder ...cold water storage tank in loft etc .... the cold water storage tank in attick is getting caked up with limescale ...
will fitting somekind of magnetic gadget or the likes on mains into it help ??/ or will the stored water create this calcium build up around the tank anyways ??
any ideas or experiences of positive outcomes with limescale issues !!??

Apparently the magnetic limescale removers do not work very well, they are only as effective as the distance the electricity produces a magnetic field, which is usually locally.

The limescale in the store tank is probably because the hot water cylinder is backing up the cold feed raising the water temperature. If there is a lot of scale check the hot water pipes for restrictions. It is a problem on direct systems and one of the reasons people use indirect or sealed systems on their heating.

Basically the higher the water temperature the less limescale can be held by the water. So if the water is hot it looks for somewhere to go and usually seems to pick the relatively rough internal surface of pipes.

The magnetic field generated by the electricity aligns the limescale molecules in such a way to stop them from sticking, but once out of range of the magnetic field they are back to what they where. So it does not get rid of limescale it just stops it from sticking.

A base water softener is probably the best as that alters the water, but they are dear and need regular attention. Which if your like me, can be a bit of a nuisance as I prefer to "fit and forget" knowing I will probably forget.

But then technology changes so fast now days it may be worth "Googling" electric limescale devices, but be a bit wary and possibly look for the words inhibitor rather than remover which may indicate that it only helps with limescale it doesn't remove it.

yes as bernie said technology keeps advancing on the war against limescale

if you google it and find a good few then pick one with a money back guarantee as many now carry

they are also called water conditioners

i ve looked at them all .... they all say they work and do this and that ....but doi they ???? experiences ?????

Hi If the CWSC is caked up the hot water cylinder will be well scaled up. An indirect system is the way forward, with regard two the heating side of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to limescale in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock