Search the forum,

Discuss Let’s talk taps-ceramic vs rubber washer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some years ago you could fit a pair of taps with the understanding that when they eventually began to leak, you could simply replace the rubber washer.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m all for embracing new technology, but have you ever tried to match up (find) a replacement ceramic insert for the taps you fitted a few years previously? (Possibly “yes no problem” if they were expensive taps).

Taps with the traditional rubber washer are still available. However, trying to identify them in Tool station for example, or any other catalogue is extremely difficult. The catalogue states ceramic insert on the item description of some of the taps. But, that does not simply mean all the other taps are rubber washer type. It’s quite frustrating (Tool station etc take note)!

So, what do you guys prefer at your home (as opposed to what you fit for customers)?

We could include cistern push button flush valves vs syhon valves as well.

I prefer the washered taps, but I guess in a modern kitchen it has to be a fancy 1/4 turn set of ceramic works taps nowadays, despite the risk of trouble later.
You are right about the old type taps. If you remember the older, basic washered taps that had simply a threaded spindle with a packing & nut at top (same as most of the outside taps & stopcocks we still have) - they give no bother as nothing to go wrong.
As RPM says, these flush valves are the next silly thing to cause everyone bother. It's a whole industry out there nowadays just to fix modern taps & cisterns. You could probably advertise under the title " Toilet and Tap Repairs" and never need to work at anything else.
Another thing that is very poor and frankly more trouble & cost than they are often worth, is motorised valves for heating systems. They save you a small amount of your fuel bill each year and then they pack in after as little as 2 or 3 years and cost the customer maybe £100 or more to get replaced.

Last edited:
It'd be alot easier if the ceramic disks where a standard part like rubber washers

But saying that some of the taps I've tried to take a part just dont want to move without damaging which is then a new set of taps anyway

I think there should be a law that any taps sold by a merchant have to be of standard ceramic works and also available as spares from that merchant.

Guess its better for the tap manufacturers at the moment as a dripping tap can now often mean a new tap not a 20ps washer.

Did some work at a house yesterday a toilet that was contentiously filling. Took the fill valve apart was dirt behind it stopping it shutting off. Also fixed the basin hot tap making banging noise washer had come loose. Turned the water back on the two problems sorted but the kitchen sink tap has now got a few slight drip on it, ceramic discs. Guessing some dirt has now got lodged in this.

As RPM says, these flush valves are the next silly thing to cause everyone bother. It's a whole industry out there nowadays just to fix modern taps & cisterns. You could probably advertise under the title " Toilet and Tap Repairs" and never need to work at anything else.

But you would be brain dead in a year. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I just carry a selection of ceramic valves, not been beaten yet. re syphons just carry some flomasters and text pics to my merchant, if he cant match fm his array of spares, in goes a flomaster

I always tell people I fit taps for to buy a spare set of cartridges straight away and keep for when they inevitably go wrong.

Yesterday I did a ceramic lever handle flush connected to a Fluidmaster type valve.
Similar to those dual flush ones, cant remember the make, it was blue
Anyhow, all that was wrong was the plastic shroud keeping the cable connection in place and broken off.
Never had a replacement on the van so he was happy fitting a push button. Rented property

I work for and do maintenance work at our local FE college. I got fed up with quarter turn ceramic tap cartridges failing and dripping in our training kitchens. I've started to replace them as they fail with lever operated tap restorers of the Centre brand, part no. C58070. They are not true quarter turn taps but they work fine when used in that way and are of the rubber washer type. These are not the priciest of things but I've had no trouble with them and can repair them much more easily.

Personally i think the problem with Ceramic disc valves is the market has been flooded with cheap imports and if you ever take one apart you can seen how perfectly flat and smooth the discs need to be in order to give a long life. Washer type taps were simpler to make and copy.

A guy in the local plumbing shop has just recommended a pair of Bristan taps if I want a branded make with rubber washers. Just spoke with custmer service and been referred to a pair of taps on their website with rubber washers. The rubber washers fitted are not your standard rubber tap washers. :banghead:
Washer 1/2 | Spares | Spares & Components | Bristan

Last edited:
I think ceramic discs are fine in a soft water area. I find the lime scale can contribute to the short lifespan. Also I don't often find a traditional tap only needs a washer changed. The tap usually needs reseating and sometimes is split on the seat too deep. This rings true on mains pressure and not on tank fed supplies.

That link is to a 1/2" washer probably for a shower hose

it's certainly not a tap washer

Hi Tom,
Here are the taps.
http://www.bristan.com/epages/Bristan.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Bristan/Products/%22VAC%201/2%20C%20MT%22/SubProducts/%22VAC%201/2%20C%20MT^1%22

Scroll down the page to where you see:…. product reviews…..water label….spares

Click on “spares“. Scroll down the list of parts for this tap and you will see that the ½ tap washer shown is the one that is not a conventional tap washer.

I seem to be able to change most ceramic valves but I do carry some spares on the van. Ideal Standard are what's been used around here mainly and they are £15 per valve, but I have been abel to change a few with the £4.50 valves from Screwfix as well.
The biggest problem that I've found with the ceramic valves is that the seat inside the tap is rarely smooth and this contributes to the wear on the rubber seal attached to the bottom of the valve. They do appear to last around 10 years before needing replacement though.

The bottom sealing washer in ceramic works makes the ceramic a tight seal, but deteriorates through time.
The washers are blue or red, but some are white, which are particularly prone to falling apart.
If you go to a dripping ceramic tap, try holding the tap head down by pushing on it for 10 seconds & often the drip stops as you do this.
Ideal Standard ceramic spindles have this white, crap washer. But the other types also lose their seal.

Ideal Standard ceramic spindles have this white, crap washer. But the other types also lose their seal.

So right about the Ideal Standard ones. The coloured ones that I've used always seem to be ribbed around the bottom rubber part and I think that this might, just might, enable them to last a little longer.

So right about the Ideal Standard ones. The coloured ones that I've used always seem to be ribbed around the bottom rubber part and I think that this might, just might, enable them to last a little longer.

That could be true. The blue or red washers seem to be more a silicone washer & better quality than white type.
I have replaced a few faulty washers, when stuck for a possibly temporary job of a heavy O ring & this has often worked.
I find most ceramic works going faulty are mains cold on kitchen sink and not gravity fed cold.
Not fully sure what causes that, but heard that fine grit can do it, although someone at an agents told me when I was ordering mainly cold works that it was the high pressure.

Have others noticed that quality of rubber has deteriorated. Recently encountered split washer even though seat rotated freely in tap and washer was relatively new. Also replacing washers on numerous ball valves because rubber loses flexibility after a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Let’s talk taps-ceramic vs rubber washer. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock