Currently reading:
Leaking heat exchanger

Discuss Leaking heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoggy

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all
went to a empty house the other day that is on the market, another plumber who is not gsr asked me to have a look at the glowworm back boiler unit 40 as it wouldn't light, no pilot so as I am checking it I take it apart and notice the heat exchanger is leaking very slightly right above the pilot side of it, I didn't bother to investigate further to the original problem as I felt I was wasting my time till I actually had conformation from the home owner of what they wanted to do. I turned it off and capped the gas classing it at risk just in case someone came round and it decided to try and light/ fix it without noticing this leak.
the owner has said to fix it cheap as poss as he is selling the house and said put leak sealer in? I've not used this before but would it fix a leaking heat exchanger? And how would everyone else class the situation.
Now not bothered about getting an install out of it but I also don't want to bodge it if you like for the next owner to be living with a potentially dangerous boiler. Just looking for some advice before I go back and meet them. Thanks Martyn.

Last edited:
Right I capped the gas meter as there was no one there to explain and I'd rather them call me than like I explained someone else not gsr go round trying to get it to light.

Hi all
went to a empty house the other day that is on the market, another plumber who is not gsr asked me to have a look at the glowworm back boiler unit 40 as it wouldn't light, no pilot so as I am checking it I take it apart and notice the heat exchanger is leaking very slightly right above the pilot side of it, I didn't bother to investigate further to the original problem as I felt I was wasting my time till I actually had conformation from the home owner of what they wanted to do. I turned it off and capped the gas classing it at risk just in case someone came round and it decided to try and light/ fix it without noticing this leak.
the owner has said to fix it cheap as poss as he is selling the house and said put leak sealer in? I've not used this before but would it fix a leaking heat exchanger? And how would everyone else class the situation.
Now not bothered about getting an install out of it but I also don't want to bodge it if you like for the next owner to be living with a potentially dangerous boiler. Just looking for some advice before I go back and meet them. Thanks Martyn.
no leak sealer wont fix it

if your beeing asked to recommission/re connect it i would leave it capped and explain that leak sealer is not a safe option.

Thanks mate I sort of new but nice to get some advise from you guys, I just no it's going to be can you do this or do that,don't get me wrong i need the work but not that bad. It does stress me out though dealing with people that try to see what they can get you to do that's not on the level.

dont you just love tightwads,its probably at the end of its life anyway

Exactly I hate back boilers anyway, the house owner is probably looking at making a few grand profit anyway. I can't stand lanlords or tight wads with more money than I will probably ever have but they always want it for the cheapest they can get.

I rang plumb up and they said I think £370+vat for heat exchanger and that's without figuring why the thing won't light now to me and anyone else that has common sense it's a new boiler but these people think your trying to screw them over by saying its probably better value to fit a new combi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking heat exchanger in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Replies
Views
davevincent
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock