Currently reading:
Leaking electric shower

Discuss Leaking electric shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I just wanted some of your views on this.

I was called out to a Mira Sport electric shower this morning which was leaking at the inlet. The case and saddle clamp were both cracked. I have checked the installation instructions on-line and they clearly give a warning that the supply pipe should not come straight out of the wall into the unit. It should either be fed from the above or below.

The pipe on this one comes straight out of the wall and has obviously put stress on the plastic unit.

Would you advise the customer to go back to the installer as they are liable due to poor installation or just get on and fit them a new unit.

I'm asking from an ethical point of view rather than a monetary one. I wouldn't want to pay out over 200 quid for a new shower plus fitting if the original installation was a cock-up.

I've answered my own question. If I fit a new Mira Sport I will do it properly which means moving it slightly to get an elbow on the pipe and I will have to tell the customer why I'm doing so and that by moving it I may expose some screw holes in the tiles.

Sorry, didn't think it through.

Thanks for looking anyway.

Clearly you couldn't fit a new shower onto the existing badly installed pipework so you would have to explain to your customer why you are altering the supply.
I would tell the cust what was done wrong previously and give them the option of chasing the original installer.

My guess is that they will get you to do the job.

Thanks anyway mountainman it was still good to get a second opinion.

id be supprised if they would get the original plumber back, afterall they now have a better plumber who actually reads the installation instructions and they should pay you handsomely for your efforts. :)

this bracket on the mira sport is prone to breaking, i've seen quite a few broken ones. they were not piped with the elbow looking into the wall either. it's a cheap plastic bracket that mira use, so you have to be very careful when fitting it i've fitted a few with the pipe going into the wall, as long as you hold against the elbow when tightening, then it's ok. you will need a bit of play on the pipe though as part of the elbow is in the wall. if you want to fix rather than replace, complain to mira, tell them you've seen alot of these brackets breaking and you think it's a design fault, they might send you a free bracket.

this bracket on the mira sport is prone to breaking, i've seen quite a few broken ones. they were not piped with the elbow looking into the wall either. it's a cheap plastic bracket that mira use, so you have to be very careful when fitting it i've fitted a few with the pipe going into the wall, as long as you hold against the elbow when tightening, then it's ok. you will need a bit of play on the pipe though as part of the elbow is in the wall. if you want to fix rather than replace, complain to mira, tell them you've seen alot of these brackets breaking and you think it's a design fault, they might send you a free bracket.

Yeah ive come across alot of them breaking to. Not had one for a couple of years though, so they must have ironed the problem out.

Thanks johnny,
The trouble is that it's not just the bracket. The pressure from the ill-fitting pipe has also cracked the casing so it will have to be a new unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking electric shower in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock