Currently reading:
Late paying customers

Discuss Late paying customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Had two of these and had to send out my new 'late payment policy' on email. 2 completely different reactions. One - really sorry, totally overlooked it, will sort it out today.

The other - thanks for your email which is very rude. A cheque is in the post, I know you don't take cheques but they are legal tender so I suggest you put it in the bank when it arrives. And by the way, there's no more business for you.

I always love the way some people will try and turn it back on you as being the nasty person for daring to chase payment thats 2 weeks late! To be honest it's no great loss losing a customer like that, who wants to wait 3 weeks for cleared payment on a small job.

Anyone else feel bad tackling late payers when in reality we shouldn't?

Don't give credit. Simple. I learned that the hard way years ago. You have finished the job so you should get paid then and there for it. I recommend you get a card machine as I've done and you'll completely eliminate late payments.

You wouldn't buy your shopping in Asda and then come back 2 weeks later to pay for it. Why should your business be any different?

Do you turn down jobs where landlords who live in another city/town/country phone and ask for small jobs to be done at a property?

There is a risk but so far none have failed to pay and only a couple paid late. In my thinking it justifies the inevitable non-payer down the line.

Wouldn't do it for anything over £200ish though.

One of my pet hates is chasing money owed! I do quite a bit for landlords though I have one lives in Spain and was a nightmare to get money out of until I threatened to pull my services and hold onto paperwork until paid!!

if its a company or business, you are entitled to charge for late payment in accordance with guidlines, including interest. You should state on your t's & c's that you reserve the right to charge for late payments - but you shoud then also set out your charging/payments policy.

I must be lucky. I don't have these issues (yet). But I always ask for landlords adresses first. I say it's for the certificate, sometimes I even tell them to meet me there for payment.
And yes I do feel bad chasing money, but I don't know why!

One of the main reasons i do contract work usaully on most occasions its money in the bank , i get the odd invoice dispute pop up now and again but normally gets sorted .
As for joe public its different matter most i found in my experience either want something for nothing or just dont want to pay.classic example i had done a boiler fault couple not so long ago diverter valve , their 20 year old son rented the house off them arranged to meet his dad (owner ) at the house when i was there and he never showed .Spoke on phone and he said can you do repair as he is running late and either can catch up later or transfer money .So i cracked on and hey presto could never get hold of them again ,one was fuming !!!

Do you turn down jobs where landlords who live in another city/town/country phone and ask for small jobs to be done at a property?

There is a risk but so far none have failed to pay and only a couple paid late. In my thinking it justifies the inevitable non-payer down the line.

Wouldn't do it for anything over £200ish though.

Hi,

I inform the landlord that the tenant will have to pay me there and then if they want to contract me. The tenant can then claim it back from their rent. Never had a problem with this arrangement yet and it saves me having to chase landlords for money.

TBH I got paid by both of these customers in the end. One was really good about it, another unfortunately I think I've lost as a customer but I'm not too bothered as I don't like waiting 3 weeks for cleared payment.

I find you can chase money as nicely as you want but you will always get people who try and turn the blame back around onto you.

Can't edit.
To clarify, a personal cheque is not legal tender.

Interesting. Just double checked online and you are indeed correct! A business cheque is also not legal tender apparently. Which explains why most companies nowadays don't and don't have to accept them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Late paying customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock