Discuss Is it wrong to ask for a written estimate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carpman

Hi am wondering if it wrong to ask an heating engineer for an written estimate for a job?

I ask, as i contacted phone a forum recommended engineer about some work on a boiler, from research and asking i have a good idea what the issue is, and seems to be common problem with this boiler.

We spoke on the phone and he told me the hourly rate with no call out fee, the first visit would be to assess the problem. When i asked if he could give me an idea what the cost with be from the information i had on problem, he could not and became defensive.

Fair enough that could not as he had not seen it, so i asked if he could be an estimate once had found out the problem, again he was vague and defensive.

I asked that any estimate be given in writing as well, again he became defensive stating that he was trust worthy, which i am not to know and having bad experiences in past i wanted to safe guard myself.

He then told me he would continue conversation on email and send quote for first visit and to arrange time. I had asked that quote be sent via email.

I sent him a time, but then got a reply that he now had a call out and could not come. I asked if next day was ok, he replied:

No , if you can not appreciate honest tradesman that is trying to help you out , then I am going to walk away from your job .

Am i missing something or are written estimates no longer given by heating engineers?

thanks

You have a problem with your boiler, in my world that is a breakdown. I'll come and find out what's wrong and fix it, all for a cost. Now if you want me to come and diagnose the problem and tell you its £xx to fix part y and z. Then that will cost you as well. That is not a free estimate, it's a diagnosis. My time and knowledge is not a free commodity.

I can see both your point of view and also that of the heating engineer. I would possibly be a bit defensive, but thats because I don't rip people off and expect other people to have the same moral compass as myself.

It's not an easy one but you need a bit of trust in both directions.

Hope you get it sorted and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for reply, sorry if i am a cynic, but having an opened bill for ant repair work is asking to be ripped off.

If i have built a relationship then trust is ok, if i have not that how am i to know i won't be ripped off by cowboy outfit?

I ran car repair garage for 15 years and had to give estimates for all jobs, if did not what the problem was to start with i would take a look and once i knew i would inform customer of the cost.

If he is charging an hourly rate and the first visit is diagnose the problem i see no issue in then asking for an estimate of final based on the fact that he know what needs to be done to fix it?

Also, by definition - an estimate and a quote are two different things.

But do you want the written estimate to shop about or do it yourself or peace of mind?

If I'm fixing something then the diagnosis is free to an extent. But then my world is oil boilers and I can fix probably 90% of issues with gear on the van.

Like I say it's a difficult one. You are looking for somebody you can trust and the engineer is trying to make sure he doesn't get shafted as well.

I think the trust will cost you more money. You are going to have to pay to get the issues diagnosed and then pay to get it fixed after somebody has given you an estimate for the repairs. The problem with this is that once you have fixed one issue on a boiler sometimes it may show up another.

The other side of the coin to this is that you may find it hard to get somebody out under these circumstances. I know I've told customers in the past that I'm not interested, but that's more to do with timing of repairs.

Like I say, I think it'll cost you more to get it sorted but you should be able to find somebody.

I want piece of mind.

You keep saying "You are going to have to pay to get the issues diagnosed" surely this what i paying for on the first visit which is diagnose the problem?

Want i want to avoid is someone coming around, saying they can fix and then just replacing parts in hope that sooner or later one will fix the problem. If the first visit (paid for) is to diagnose the problem then he should at least know the labour costs, a quick phone call would give the parts price.

Sorry, but can't understand why this it is so difficult to give a price once problem has been diagnosed?

with the engineer on this one back when i started i used to go out and look at a job for free find out what was wrong fan for example give cost of part and fitting to be told will have a word with hubby when he gets home from work never to hear from them again probly buy part themselves and hubby fits it wont do free diagnosis now i dont charge call out but do charge hourly rate.cant allways give a firm quote because thier might be more than one problem .and its not nice to be accused of being a rip off merchent most of us are in this for the long tearm and want to build a good reputation so you will use us again and reccomend to friends and family.i can understand you dont want to get overcharged but i cant belive any of the lads who use this forum spending hours sharing and looking for information because we want to be really good at what we do would do that so a little trust on your part and ime sure it would be well placed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it wrong to ask for a written estimate? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15i condenser boiler which is about 13 years old. There is a separate hot water tank. Recently the fan in the...
Replies
Views
Had a call to a 82 Old man, he paid these £300 up front for a years cover, and I find out on arrival he's been waiting for 3 weeks, no heating or...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
I was sent an engineer by Ideal Heating to fix a problem with my system. When he left he drove over a pot of sealing compound (which must have...
Replies
Views
I am looking into a new Main eco compact / Baxi 618 system boiler set up for PDHW (if its possible) I was hoping to use the EPH controls priority...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock