Discuss IPHE yea or nay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I'm seriously considering letting my membership of IPHE go. This has been such a bad year that the fee is no longer an inconsiderable percentage of earnings.

I just wanted to get some thoughts on this. No customer has ever queried whether I am a member. Would I be silly not to keep it up? Are you guys all members?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Okay (I knew that!)

What's the Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering?

I can just imagine Doris from down the road being confused by this. Does it increase her bill?

IPHE is now CIPHE - Chartered Insititute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering

It is supposed to be the professional body for plumbing, but hardly anyone knows it exists.

I have been pondering my own membership each year in these difficult times. For me it gives a few letters after my name, which satisfies my ego, but if no one has heard of it, then its a bit of waste of time.

However, if I were a new-comer to the industry, I strongly advise membership. They have student memberships, and a bi-monthly journal.

The 'professional' issue is a bit of laugh really, it still means you have to do meaningless gas safe courses, and be a member of cps schemes at additional expense.

If you are a teacher, then have a look at your 'strategic assessment document' which lists memebership of such bodies as CIPHE as part of the centre validity for assessment.

Thus, CIPHE plays a ceromonial role for teachers, and professionals (working at management level), but there are few user benefits at installer level.

If I were to suggest one advantage at installer level, it would be 'branch training'. Each branch of CIPHE, organise lectures virtually every month, where continued professional development certificates are issued by manufacturers for training on their products.

Again, its not all CIPHE's fault that it is not so popular - it is a 'professional body' in a labour market that have been brainwashed into thinking they are professional because they are gas safe registered.

I think something is required to represent plumbers, but CIPHE isn't it.

Thanks a million guys you've made my decision for me, IPHE goes and the Mrs gets a half decent Christmas present which means I get some brownie points.

Why? It would be nice to know your reasons for not wanting to be a member of a professional body.

I know a couple of colleagues who used to be part of this, they got no extra work and it costs money, so why would anybody decide to throw money away whilst getting nothing back??
Plus I am part of another worthless institute, Gas Safe, only this is a must for me.

CIPHE isn't really relevant up here. What we all need is a UK wide governing body that looks after and promotes its members. Plumbers are too fragmented and need to co-operate more or this industry will die.

CIPHE isn't really relevant up here. What we all need is a UK wide governing body that looks after and promotes its members. Plumbers are too fragmented and need to co-operate more or this industry will die.

I totally agree and have wondered whether we can kick something off from this forum - but to what end? Does it mean yet another qualification? And more paperwork?

Still got my thinking cap on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to IPHE yea or nay in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock