Search the forum,

Discuss Internet Enabled Thermostats - Hive, Nest etc? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Following on from the helpful posts I received my other post about my new boiler KW rating and aereator and expansion vessel enquiry, I am now wanting to canvas opinion on the Thermostat controls.

I've had 4 things suggestions:

• Google Nest
  • British Gas Hive
  • Salus (IT500 I think)
  • Ideal's own Wireless RF/internet thermostat

From what I understand so far, if you have a "smart thermostat" such as the Hive or Nest, you dont need the weather comp feature installing for the boiler, as they are internet enabled they can ascertain what the ambient temp is (maybe not 100% accurate I suppose but close enough perhaps).

I don't currently have any other smart devices such as smart bulbs or smart TRVs etc etc, so hive or nest might be a bit overkill, but I might add some bulbs in the future.

The existing thermostat location is not ideal as its in the hallway, which is like an arctic winter at most times of the year. So it never really ever gets up to temperature, and therefore my old Ideal Classic is running at full pelt pretty much the whole time the heating is on in winter, only briefly pausing to cool down for a short time, before it ramps up again. In this regard, I would hope a smart thermostat actually located in the living room might be more useful and effective.

Anyway, opinions and real world experience is welcomed!

the wifi equivalent of nests and hives weather comps Is nowhere near as accurate as the actual weather comp for the boiler as both nest and hive use a general temp taken from local weather station as opposed to an actual sensor taking true outside temp this also uses the boilers modulation more effectively. wouldn't use a sales and never fitted an ideal of the other 2 I would use a nest

The existing thermostat location is not ideal as its in the hallway, which is like an arctic winter at most times of the year.

So it never really ever gets up to temperature, and therefore my old Ideal Classic is running at full pelt pretty much the whole time the heating is on in winter, only briefly pausing to cool down for a short time, before it ramps up again. In this regard, I would hope a smart thermostat actually located in the living room might be more useful and effective.

Actually the hallway is the best place for most thermostats and the setting shouldn't be the same as you want in the lounge ........

If you locate the room stat in the lounge and you shut the doors, the room will be warm, but the rest of the house will be cold .......

FWIW I have a Salus IT500 - which I've had for nearly 7 years - it does the job I need it to!

IMO , internet stats used as an on / off feature are a total waste of time unless you work weird shifts and never know when you start or finish . WC all the way for me .

Hi All,

Following on from the helpful posts I received my other post about my new boiler KW rating and aereator and expansion vessel enquiry, I am now wanting to canvas opinion on the Thermostat controls.

I've had 4 things suggestions:

• Google Nest
  • British Gas Hive
  • Salus (IT500 I think)
  • Ideal's own Wireless RF/internet thermostat

From what I understand so far, if you have a "smart thermostat" such as the Hive or Nest, you dont need the weather comp feature installing for the boiler, as they are internet enabled they can ascertain what the ambient temp is (maybe not 100% accurate I suppose but close enough perhaps).

I don't currently have any other smart devices such as smart bulbs or smart TRVs etc etc, so hive or nest might be a bit overkill, but I might add some bulbs in the future.

The existing thermostat location is not ideal as its in the hallway, which is like an arctic winter at most times of the year. So it never really ever gets up to temperature, and therefore my old Ideal Classic is running at full pelt pretty much the whole time the heating is on in winter, only briefly pausing to cool down for a short time, before it ramps up again. In this regard, I would hope a smart thermostat actually located in the living room might be more useful and effective.

I fit NEST with all of my new Installs. I install ATAG Boilers so I have access to OPEN THERM. That's how I configure the NEST. That way consumption is far and away lower.

I fit NEST with all of my new Installs. I install ATAG Boilers so I have access to OPEN THERM. That's how I configure the NEST. That way consumption is far and away lower.
Hi RoryD
from what you wrote you are an expert on Nest installed on ATAG machines and I would like to ask you for an opinion: I'm in the same situation with an I28C (i-Serie, 2016 EU) to which I installed a Nest 3rd Learning Opentherm with the hope of improving the temperature and power modulation compared to the only climatic compensation with external probe.
Instead, the much-vaunted Nest (not from you, but from what I've read around the internet) played a bad joke on me: when the thermostat reaches the setpoint room temperature, it switches off the boiler, instead of reducing the heating water temperature. What can it be? Is the ATAG i-Serie boiler not Opentherm compatible? This one mounts electronics reproposed in more recent models and can also work with the Atag One thermostat (unfortunately only connected by cable).
Thanks in advance if you can help me even partially.
PT

Reply to Internet Enabled Thermostats - Hive, Nest etc? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock