Search the forum,

Discuss Intermittent smell from toilet in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

F

Funkymunkey27

Hi all

We've been experiencing an intermittent smell from our downstairs toilet for the last few months. We've tried replacing the pan connector and have had a CCTV inspection on the drain, but the problem persists. Last week I removed the toilet again and disconnected the sink trap. Both have been capped but we're still getting the smell.

The soil stack is boxed in with no access on the ground floor. It's partly visible through a gap in the skirting and plasterboard that surrounds the pan connector. Everything is covered in dust and there are no signs of leaks.

The soil stack also services our bathroom and toilet on the first floor. It is boxed in here too, but there is a large gap behind our vanity unit. Despite this, we've never experienced a smell in this room. The stack isn't vented externally, so, I assume it's capped internally.

I've had a visit from a plumber who suggested it was coming up from the sewer, but isn't the trap stopping the gasses entering the house?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think so. I believe this would be in the bathroom which is directly above. There are no smells in this room though, despite their being large gaps for air to flow behind the vanity unit.

Reply to Intermittent smell from toilet in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock