Currently reading:
installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it?

Discuss installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Flux

Hay guys i have never attempted a back boiler oil link up before, i have a customer who has purchased a back boiler wood burning stove and is looking to link it up 2 the oil heating to heat the water and rads! Only problems is that its a bungalow and the hwc is on the same floor as the stove so have no way of installing a gravity circuit to the stove! i was thinking of just fully pumping the system and linking the flow and return from the stove into the boiler flow and returns just where they enter the building (obviously installing all the necessary non return valves! Obviously doing it this way is abit dodgy incase of power faiure and the pump fail to operate, causeing the system to pump over into the f &e but i cant see this being a major problem??? any advice guys, has any1 installed a back boiler which is fully pumped????

Nordio can you remember a couple of years back on another site where you were saying it was fine to cap a solid fuel bbu. I answered with reference to this or a similar site ( i will find the original if you like)
HSE Safety Alert: Explosion risk from redundant domestic back boilers
Your answer was it was fine to do this as you had did it on your own house and lived alone so would only kill yourself.
Obviously your vision has not become any clearer. Keep swinging your stillsons in someone else's direction.

From the link...
The risk can arise when a disused boiler has been left at the back of a fireplace and a coal or wood fire is lit in front of it. This can mean the boiler heats up causing the boiler casing to explode. If you have a redundant back boiler you should not light an open fire in front of it.

What a load of waffle. I'm living proof that this is not the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
What have I been wrong about on here pray tell?

Not a lot but enough. You are advocating doing things that are not (yet) legal in the uk (regardless of what the MI's state). Many of these stoves and bbu's are fitted by diy persons who have no concept of the risks they face if they do it wrong. Things will no doubt change in the future and the proper controls will be widely available to buy.
Until then, in the UK we have to abide by the laws of the land.
I LOVE a T bone steak and when they banned them (mad cows) i couldn't buy one (legally) but i was well aware of the risks i ran.
DIYers are generally not too clued up so don't encourage them to jump in when they can't swim

From the link...

What a load of waffle. I'm living proof this this is not the case.

I'm not going to go over a 2 year old argument. If you want to take the risk that is up to you.
bang.JPG

Thats what Mr Flux's customers home will look like in a few weeks. lol :lol:

There was someone last week asking how to demolish their chimney breast.
Maybe they could learn something here. lol

Connect a solid fuel boiler up with a vent and no cold feed/expansion the water will simply boil off. I know that because I've done it.
After that its stress relief time for the welds.
Did you read what peteheat wrote on the bs6700 thread? That guy knows his stuff.

Yes peteheat does know his stuff
And he thinks you are as silly as we think too lol
Ps the silly word is a lot less than I want to say but I don't want banned but hopefully the way you post you will be soon
Pps mr flux lives in northern Ireland =uk

Nordio

I am not a Moderator but please post in a manner which is constructive because some your previous posts do read quite incorrect

:ban:NORDIO :ban:?????????????????????????????? I don't think his posts have helped this forum or anybody reading, now or in the future. IMHO

Lets ban gray. He hopes the op's system goes wrong and has posted nothing constructive and resorts to name calling. Not a very nice bloke I think. Just a sad troll.
The best post on the thread was from myself. Post 47!

No problem with post 47 but we are a friendly bunch here on this forum, just try and join in

Think you need to read what Nordio is advising people to do
It's getting silly

So as far as I can see it a stove with no themostat control

The stove as got thermostaic control, fired it up yesterday working like a dream! Have installed the cold feed and the vent to the return to the boiler with no valves inbetween the piping to the boiler, fitted the pump on the flow out of the boiler! ino its against regs but its my 1st stove and with laision with the customer he was happy to go ahead with it! From now on going to install a gravity circuit and wont be installing a stove into nothing but a 2 story with a upstair double coil hwc! Some people may argue its unsafe but dont see how it can be when you have a unobstructed from the cold feed and vent to the boiler???

Then in future take the advice given and don't do it the cowboy way
What you have done is dangerous if that vent ever freezes boom

The stove as got thermostaic control, fired it up yesterday working like a dream! Have installed the cold feed and the vent to the return to the boiler with no valves inbetween the piping to the boiler, fitted the pump on the flow out of the boiler! [FONT=&amp]I no its against regs[/FONT] but its my 1st stove and with laision with the customer he was happy to go ahead with it! From now on going to install a gravity circuit and wont be installing a stove into nothing but a 2 story with a upstair double coil hwc! Some people may argue[FONT=&amp] its unsafe[/FONT] but dont see how it can be when you have a unobstructed from the cold feed and vent to the boiler???

The highlights above about sums it up,you have come on the forums asking advise,ignore it,as it is not what you are looking for,then come out with statements like you do in above post,you seem to think its ok to ignore any regs you like and have no regard for the safety of your customer

As its only the once....untill the next time....

Think we should close the thread now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to installing a back boiler oil link up in a bungalow, anyway around it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock