Search the forum,

Discuss Immersion heaters prices? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JCSPLUMBING

I just drove 30 miles to give an quote on changing the bottom heater on a economy 7 direct cylinder. I also said to the customer that while it was drained down I'd change the top one also and clean the cylinder of scale with my wet vac. I also gave her a seperate quote on changing a cracked basin and pedestal.
I gave her a quote of £120 to change both heater elements. She basically told me no way and that she had another quote of £75. I was stunned as I left. I haven't changed any in about two years but I've always charged about £100-£150 especially if they are a nightmare to reach. Whats everyone else's thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your price seemed o.k to me you could do it cheaper but you are running a buisness and need to think of your overheads and of course a profit.....but that is my opinion...regards Turnpin;)

Changed a top entry immersion for a company I get a fair bit of work from a few weeks back. (still got your 24'' Stilsons btw Kev!)
I think I charged about half of what you charged, but it's an easier job without all the draining down when you're fitting a top immersion, there was also plenty of access.
Whoever is charging £75 to do both elements is probably not going to stay in business long, or is an under-qualified 'handyman' type, at £75 a pop you can also bet he's not G3, was it unvented?

As a side note though, prices aren't really discussed outside the arms, get your post count up and get yourself in there.

Sorry guys i didn't realise about the price discussion. These were in an ok position at the front. Also I didn't mention that it was a 3rd floor apartment with no parking for about 1/4 of a mile. It wasn't unvented either btw.

Stay with your instincts. Choose your customers as carefully as you choose your areas of work. I add £100 to the price of any job requiring a quote to cover the cost of time wasters.

You could have quoted a slightly cheaper price for to supply & fit both immersion elements if you were also going to be doing other work at same time in the property.
To drive a lot of miles JUST to carefully fit two elements and no other extra profitable jobs, would probably be reasonable to allow half a day in total time (could be all sorts of problems), so £120 would be about £20 an hour plus parts. Very fair!

Last edited:
probably the £75 bloke thinks he can save time by freezing the cylinder so he doesn't have to drain it..you helped him do this...your stare and shocked look on ya face when told price froze anything within 50',once you left ,he nipped in and whipped over the immersion heater..job done... hope you get a good job tomorrow JC to make up for this boooooo......

Looking for cheap immersion heaters? Then :nono: is this place to go to!

Click on the 'immersion heaters' link to see their website.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say that's a very fair price.

How many times have you started on one to find the doc knackered? Scaled up at bottom of cylinder? Before you know it an hour and half has passed and your still draining down, and then you've still got to get the 11" immersions out without splitting the cylinder.....

No way would I do it for any less than that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Immersion heaters prices? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock