Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal System 15 losing pressure; pressure dial violently twitching in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there,

I am renting at the moment. Our boiler is an Ideal System 15. Within an hour or two of moving in and turning the heat on the boiler lost pressure. Now it loses pressure any time that it is turned on. If the boiler pressure is set below 1.5 bars cold it will lose all pressure in about an hour. If it’s set over 1.5 it will retain pressure for a day or so. When it is turned on the dial rises and vibrates and twitches very violently, making a noise that echoes throughout the entire house. Despite the violent twitching and whatnot it does not go especially high; it stays at the same level. Here is a picture of under the boiler. Our agent isn’t making repairs and we don’t want to push the boat and make a complaint because my wife is pregnant and we are worried they will spitefully evict us. I have sent about 20 emails and made countless phone calls but no plumber comes. A plumber did come when we first reported the issue and changed some component inside the boiler but it didn’t fix anything so I don’t know what he did.

Attachments

• 584B20C7-959D-4497-9E65-6D4EF39F594E.jpeg
    584B20C7-959D-4497-9E65-6D4EF39F594E.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 8633936A-98E9-44BA-BF56-2919418283A8.jpeg
    8633936A-98E9-44BA-BF56-2919418283A8.jpeg
    459.9 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like a pump issue.
If the pump doesn't operate, the boiler will bang and make noises as you describe.
This causes the excess pressure to blow out of the pressure relief valve.

So you probably need a new pump, maybe a new pressure relief valve.
The expansion vessel may need checking or replacing also.

Hope this helps

Sounds like a pump issue.
If the pump doesn't operate, the boiler will bang and make noises as you describe.
This causes the excess pressure to blow out of the pressure relief valve.

So you probably need a new pump, maybe a new pressure relief valve.
The expansion vessel may need checking or replacing also.

Hope this helps
It’s the dial itself that’s making the noise. The vibrating and twitching of the needle is so aggressive that the noise it produces echoes around the house. Surprisingly the boiler itself is pretty quiet!

Common issue with the guage thats stnd

The pressure loss could be two things main hex or pressure relief

I doubt your landlord will be able to evict you and your pregnant wife or if they did they’d certainly face a backlash imo. As Shaun said could be those 2 things, the copper pipe that exits the wall, are you able to see if it’s dripping/discharging outside?

Reply to Ideal System 15 losing pressure; pressure dial violently twitching in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock