Discuss I want to be a plumber....Please advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry83

Hi, I'm 29 and live in Manchester. I have reached a point where I am not enjoying my current career in the hospitality industry and sincerely believe that a career in plumbing would give me a rewarding and challenging new career. I realise I am slightly older than your average apprentice/student but would work my arse off to achieve this goal, so would greatly appreciate any serious advice on courses and apprenticeships, or anything that you think may be of use to me. Thanks in advance.

Yes it really is that bad Rick !!!!!!
Only 3 or 4 apprentices this year out of the whole of our area (south & east London)
Still doesn't matter as long as there are the members of the armed forces who have finished there tour of duty & want to jump into a trade & the "I've had enough of this job" & I've got some money to get retained, brigade. We will be all right cause there is such a skill shortage, a.
PS my nan has always longed to be a plumber, does anybody know of a plumbing course for OAP,s, O & her dog as well !!!!!

Last edited:
All this fast track being no good is ok if youre 18 but if like me you were 34 with 3 kids to feed a 3 year full time college course wasnt going to happen.

As for find an old guy near retirement....thats as bigger myth as earning 70k a year. There not there.

Il say this, in our game getting the work is the hard part, the plumbing is the easy bit, you need to be a salesman and a businessman if you really want to go anywhere.

Yes it really is that bad Rick !!!!!!
Only 3 or 4 apprentices this year out of the whole of our area (south & east London)
Still doesn't matter as long as there are the members of the armed forces who have finished there tour of duty & want to jump into a trade & the "I've had enough of this job" & I've got some money to get retained, brigade. We will be all right cause there is such a skill shortage, a.
PS my nan has always longed to be a plumber, does anybody know of a plumbing course for OAP,s, O & her dog as well !!!!!

thats a low amount, do you take on full timers?

Hi Henry, I am in exactly the Same situation as you were, in hospitality and aged thirty, only difference is I live in Birmingham, did you have any joy with pursuing a career in plumbing, if so any advice you could give?

Thanks

Mark

Thanks for your warm welcome Bod, do you have any advice? My biggest problem is I work all the hours god sends at my current job so can't go down the traditional route of college etc without getting a full time job in ideally plumbing.

is there no evening courses near you , i know they take longer and i sincerely wish you all the best of luck but the trade is saturated with plumbers a fair size proportion of which have no work

Consider why you want to be a plumber and have another search on here, plenty of threads along the same line. If you want it enough you'll do it, but you'll have to sacrifice to get there.

There are evening courses but my job Doesn't allow me to have set times off in a weekly basis. The only other option is the intensive 8 week courses which cost an arm and a leg, also read bad reviews about them, just need a chance at a plumbers mate/labourer and I'm certain I would succeed but no one wants to take the chance :(

Hi been a hands on builder for 20 odd years, got loads of gas work and can't get a reliable plumber/gas fitter to work with us so I'm going for a quick hit gas course, doing the most of our plumbing now so it will be usefull, anyone got any advice on my plans for this, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I want to be a plumber....Please advise! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock