Search the forum,

Discuss OPERATING A NEW BOILER - PLEASE ADVISE ME in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

RSC

I have a new boiler that is set at 75C. I am able to heat sufficient hot water for a day if I set the controls for hot water only for half an hour. If I set my controls for the heating alone to come on immediately after the water for a further half hour, I find that all the radiators in the house have reached a very high temperature. The system has therefore been on one hour. I shall call this method “A”.

If on the other hand I set the hot water to come on along with the central heating for an hour together, my perception is that the hot water is not quite as hot, and neither are the downstairs radiators. I shall call this method “B”.

Using method “A” can you please advise me whether this could damage anything in the system. I would have previously always used method “B” over the first hour that my central heating is on, and I am wondering if there is any data to show whether method “A” or method “B” is more efficient.

I should welcome any advice on this matter.

Thank you.

Thanks for your comment firemant. Perhaps I should have mentioned that my boiler is in fact oversized.

Thanks for your comment firemant. Perhaps I should have mentioned that my boiler is in fact oversized.

If everything was okay, the downstairs rags would not be suffering when both CH & HW are called for. The greater the demand the slower the response, but in a good set up you would not notice. There could if course be a circulation issue, but the common problem would be sizing.

Pleasr note that I said “implied”.

I cannot decide on what spirit you responded

I would stick to method 'A'.
Which make of Boiler and cylinder do you have?
Many thanks. Using method "A" has never occurred to me before. My boiler a Worcester Bosch works like a dream and the cylinder, make unknown is steel.
[automerge]1567747767[/automerge]
If everything was okay, the downstairs rags would not be suffering when both CH & HW are called for. The greater the demand the slower the response, but in a good set up you would not notice. There could if course be a circulation issue, but the common problem would be sizing.

[automerge]1567747823[/automerge]

[automerge]1567748117[/automerge]

[/QU
[automerge]1567748138[/automerge]

[/QU
[automerge]1567748158[/automerge]

[/QU

Last edited:
Many thanks. Using method "A" has never occurred to me before. My boiler a Worcester Bosch works like a dream and the cylinder, make unknown is steel.

There is nothing wrong with using method 'A' and 75 degrees as far as damage goes but the heat you gain in rads from doing it that way can be an issue where your comfort conditions are concerned. It could also reduce the efficiency of your Boiler due to the higher temp on Heating.
The Boiler needs to be set at a higher temp than the target temp of the cylinder but that may prove too high for the rads dependent on heat loss from the building at the time.

There are controls available which will control the two things (rads and Cylinder) separately but they cost a bit and need to be compatible with the system you have. You need a Heating Engineer to come and assess the compatibility / possibility, should you think that worth considering.

Last edited by a moderator:

There is nothing wrong with using method 'A' and 75 degrees as far as damage goes but the heat you gain in rads from doing it that way can be an issue where your comfort conditions are concerned. It could also reduce the efficiency of your Boiler due to the higher temp on Heating.
The Boiler needs to be set at a higher temp than the target temp of the cylinder but that may prove too high for the rads dependent on heat loss from the building at the time.

There are controls available which will control the two things (rads and Cylinder) separately but they cost a bit and need to be compatible with the system you have. You need a Heating Engineer to come and assess the compatibility / possibility, should you think that worth considering.
Many thanks for the time you have given. I have noted all you have said and have found your post useful.

Reply to OPERATING A NEW BOILER - PLEASE ADVISE ME in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock