Discuss I remember a comment on here about vans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I forget who said it but it was one of the regulars and one of the experienced guys. Said high miles are not an issue when a van has got a full service history.

Is that true? Never owned a van, don't know what goes on with servicing. Am I right in thinking a service will bring to light things that need to be done and have them done? So a vehicle with a full service history with 100k plus on clock should have every bit as much life left in it as something with 50k and no service history?

Obviously other factors like make and usage come into it, but just interested about how reliable it is as a rule of thumb.

if you have 3 meals a day and go toilet regularly then you will feel ok.

If you don't eat regularly and go toilet once a month you wont feel very good.

This is the same with cars, if you change the spark plugs, then you get a better spark each time, if you change the oil then you get faster smoother movement, if you change the coolant you get cooler engine if you change the cam belt you get a smoother movement, if you change the fuel filter, you are getting rid of all the rubbish.

has a boy racer drove it? was it serviced before something failed or did something fail in between services?

however chances are that there is a mechanic looking at it, when serviced, so may advise of any problems.

And the biggest thing is, if somebody has money to service every year then chances are they had money to fix brakes as soon as they started going rather then after they have gone, they care about the car and they have looked after it.

So the answer to your question is, nobody can tell, it all depends on the previous owner. have they looked after it, do they care about it. but it is a common belief that a serviced vehicle is better then a non serviced vehicle.

thanks jase.

i'm bascially trying to decide whether, for my first van, it's worth saving up several grand for something that has been serviced and looks looked after or just throwing 500 squids at something with a year's MOT and hoping i get a year out of it.

at the moment i'm thinking the latter.

depends on your personal circumstances I think, do you have a van/transport at moment. how much do you know about repairing vehicles.

£500 at a van is a good stop gap, but for it to last a year you would need 1. possibly new cambelt (around 60,000 or 120,000 miles) 2.service 3. £200-£300 over the year on bits and pieces, so theoretically could cost you anywhere between £800- £1200 in total over the year and you will still be left with the van at the end of it (unless you scrap it)

And don't forget all the lost time and pay when it breaks down at your busiest time of year, in the winter.

Got 11 grand Watertight? I here there are some very good deals on new vans at the moment as no sucker can afford to buy one.

yes i... i have ..i....just seem to have..mis....misplaced it somewhere. i'm sure it'll....it'll turn up...

ive got a 2000 reg merc sprinter with over 170,000 miles runs like a watch

Where abouts are you based? If you go anywhere near London then don't forget to buy a van that's LEZ compliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I remember a comment on here about vans in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back