Search the forum,

Discuss How to stop whirring noise from rad? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

On one of my radiators when the heating is turned on it makes a noise which sounds like water rushing into the rad.

This radiator has a manual lockshield valve on it.

I tried to solve it by closing the other lockshield slightly as I thought this would restrict the amount of water moving around but this hasn’t sorted it.

My pump is set to the lowest setting as this is enough to heat my house, when I turn this up the noise gets louder.

The noise is loud enough to wake you up in the morning and the only solution so far is either wait it out or knock the heating off.

I should add - the valve itself has been changed as the last one did the same, the bloke who did it basically said if that doesn’t sort it he doesn’t know what will!

Has anyone got any ideas? I really hope someone can help with this as it’s driving me mad!

Thanks.

Possibly air in the rad flow or return pipes?. If you have the "big" type rad vent suggest shutting both valves, remove the vent complete and flush say 5/10 litres from each end which should get rid of any entrapped air, you will have to keep topping up the system (if sealed) while doing so.

Possibly air in the rad flow or return pipes?. If you have the "big" type rad vent suggest shutting both valves, remove the vent complete and flush say 5/10 litres from each end which should get rid of any entrapped air, you will have to keep topping up the system (if sealed) while doing so.
Sorry for the silly question, by rad vent do you mean the part which you bleed the radiator?

Yes, At one end on the rad top you should see this vent and at the other end a plug which is the easiest to remove once you have vented pressure from the rad. I will post a phot shortly.

Attachments

• Vent.JPG
    Vent.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Vent Plug.JPG
    Vent Plug.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 6
Yes, At one end on the rad top you should see this vent and at the other end a plug which is the easiest to remove once you have vented pressure from the rad. I will post a phot shortly.
Ah I did think it would be this. I’m not sure I trust myself to be honest, it’s an upstairs rad too so can see myself making a right mess trying to drain the rad!

Just a small update, I turned a few radiators off in the hope it may force any potential air into the actual radiator so it can be bled out.

I went back to the problem radiator, bled it and water spat out with an air noise 2/3 times before coming out normally.

The house is too warm currently for the heating to come on but I’m hoping this may of done something.

Reply to How to stop whirring noise from rad? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock