Search the forum,

Discuss How to seal off a tricky chimney draft? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a decorative fireplace in my rented flat, (no actual heating just a metal cover) and behind it a large (pretty cavernous) stone space that leads up to the chimney. I want to block it up, as a lot of cold air is coming down (and heat escaping up) but am finding it difficult. I bought a chimney balloon but found it basically impossible to put it in position. The narrow bit of the chimney that I'd want to block up is about 2 metres from the ground, and it's hard to access via the narrow opening in the fireplace. (about 50cm wide)
Is there a way to block off the chimney without removing the decorative fireplace, mantelpiece etc?
I'd be happy to improvise with papers, old fabric etc - it's just a question of reaching up high enough. I've tried using a long broom but still couldn't manage! Any tips gratefully received.

Rock wool insulation enclosed in a bin liner can normally be persuaded to close off most chimneys

thanks joni - much appreciated, i shall investigate that.
the only problem is how to actually get the stuff into the narrow bit of chimney... it's proving damn difficult! i am trying to avoid taking the whole front off the fireplace, but at the moment i've got a small gap to fit things through (around 50cm wide) then a 2m high gap to reach across to stuff anything into the neck of the chimney - has anyone encountered this kind of thing before, and does anyone have any tips?

shouldnt block an old chimmney, it will cause damp problems and damage in the long run. fyi you must have the only chimney in the county that sucks air down!!!!

If you close it off you need to provide a vent in the chimney to allow it to breathe. Maybe look at having it professionally capped off.

As above a chimney needs to have ventilation to stop any damp forming, ideally you should have it capped at the top with a vent in the side at the top and a vent in the bottom

As above you can get some good vent cowls that with help ventilate the chimney without the incumbent problems of downdraughts.
Also a bit of boarding behind the decorative fire with a vent grill would help with the ventilation of the chimney.
Hope this helps,
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to seal off a tricky chimney draft? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock