Discuss How important is your presentation to you ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mickyplumb

Afternoon gents,

Just curious and this is probably aimed at the one man bands. Going back to the old days all my 'teachers' wore baggy jeans, butts hanging out and holes in the knees. Tops were normally stained Adidas tee shirts. Generally, they looked a bit of a mess.

What do you guys wear and those of you that do dress smart, what difference do you think it makes to how the customer perceives you and your services ?

We have white polo's (not ideal sometimes) with company logo left breast, GSR logo left sleeve, Grohe logo (c/w) appointed service engineers on right breast and on the right sleeve the Exor accredited contractor logo.

Very rarely wear jeans, normally snickers type trousers.

Interested to know.......

Never in jeans.
Work trousers or shorts with kneepads
steel toe caps

need to order some work tops actually.

I think if I was a squirrel I would be starving by now, everyone can see where I hide me nuts

I always try to do my quote visits on evenings or weekend.'Smart 'set of work clothes with company details or smart casual.If I have to come from work I make sure they know I will be coming in work clothes.You are representing your company and with some clients it is a bit like an interview situation.As a sole trader you are selling yourself as the 'face'of the company.It is then how you come across a person and your ability to convince them of your competence.

I always try to do my quote visits on evenings or weekend.'Smart 'set of work clothes with company details or smart casual.If I have to come from work I make sure they know I will be coming in work clothes.You are representing your company and with some clients it is a bit like an interview situation.As a sole trader you are selling yourself as the 'face'of the company.It is then how you come across a person and your ability to convince them of your competence.

Exactly.

I went on a sales course once as a Worcester approved installer, probably 15 years ago now. It was more geared around being able to offer finance to customers (long before strict FSA rules).

We were given a list as to pick out the most likely reason that a possible client may choose you over another htg eng.

In the list were cheapest quote, puntuality, etc, etc.

2nd top answer was you would be chosen because of your presentation.

Top answer was surprising......you would have more chance of wining the job if you were a 'normal' person and was able to converse with client about everyday things as opposed to just plumbing and boilers !

Being chosen for being the cheapest was right down the list, mind you, people had a bit more money back then.

I think presentation is a must! Tells people exactly what type of tradesman you are.

If you have trousers thats full of silicone, paste, paint etc that normally tells people what tradesmen they are like compared to a tradesmen whos got clean clothes

Either that or hes bought new clothes

Being chosen for being the cheapest was right down the list, mind you, people had a bit more money back then.

Nah, they only thought they did. Actually they were just running up debts, or constantly re-mortgaging to keep up with the joneses.

Real average household incomes, adjusted for inflation, have risen steadily since the war, with real-terms drops only occuring in 1981 and 2010. And they were chicken-feed compared with the ***ulative rises.

Its an absolute myth that people buy on price. If they did, Heatline or Biasi would be market leaders and not Worcester and Vaillant. The vast majority of people buy "perceived value for money". All the cheap boiler makes put together wouldn't sell as many boilers as a single model - Vaillants 831.

If you are self employed, your job is to convince people that you will be good value. That includes how you look. Too smart is wrong. Wearing a suit would make me think of double glazing salesmen. But covered in silicon is not smart enough - at least not for a first call.

You have to decide whether you want to present as a Vaillant 831 plumber or a Biasi plumber.

Last edited by a moderator:
spare set of clean clothes behind seat in van for if im doing a quote stright from tools , van is ALWAYS clean and tidy as some come out to greet you or wave off. if they come to wave off i make a point of opening side doors so they can see inside is clean and tiday too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How important is your presentation to you ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We're getting some forum shirts done, Polo Shirts, found a good quality one that's longer than normal. Don't like the ones that ride up when...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back