Currently reading:
Hot Water Cyl control

Discuss Hot Water Cyl control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys, I'm looking to install a control valve on my solid fuel heating at the cyl. I want to redirect the heating when the Cyl reaches 65 degrees to the Radiators. I'm wondering which is best to use a Motorized valve or a Guardian smartzone Valve. What's the best brand of MV to use as I don't want any issues. Thanks for any advise and help.

Never divert . U can control your ch pump with a pipe stat tho. This is safe and legal.

Basically take the live feed to your pump connect it to a pipe stay set to 65c and then connect the other terminal to the live on pump.

Clamp that stat to return out of cylinder

Last edited by a moderator:
Best to have the system professionally designed by qualified tradesman as safety must be adhered to in all burnt fuels but especially solid fuel as uncontrollable compared to gas or oil , like croppie said contact a hetas approved person or company and take it from there,,,

Never divert . U can control your ch pump with a pipe stat tho. This is safe and legal.

Basically take the live feed to your pump connect it to a pipe stay set to 65c and then connect the other terminal to the live on pump.

Clamp that stat to return out of cylinder

There's no issue with safety as there's a 1 inch expansion pipe taken of the boiler flow within 12 inches of the Back Boiler, and a safety valve. As well as a 3/4 expansion off the top of the Cyl also. There's a rising 1 inch flow and a 1 inch return from the Boiler to the cylinder. The flow is teed at the Cyl and the 1 inch pipework continues down to feed the rad circuit where it reduces to 3/4 inch. With the pump on the return circuit.
It was in the house when we moved in.
I'm just trying to prevent the Cyl from being heated beyond 65 degrees allowing more heat to go to the Rads. Also preventing the Cyl acting as a thermal store when the fire goes low and having no hot water in the morning.
I was thinking of using an mv valve 3 port to stop the flow through the Cyl while leaving the flow to the Rads open.
As suggested a Cyl stat would control the MV valve and the pump when the cyl reached 65 degrees.

Is there a better way of doing this. ?

Thanks.

current guidelines to meet part L require an normally open valve operated with a cylinder stat, heat leak radiators and your vent/ expansion tank set up (ideally copper tank, gloat, warning pipe).
your cylinder will also need a temp pressure relief if bring up to current requirements.

you can not only rely on electrical components to distribute the heat as in a power cut it would not work while your heat source will keep burning. So a normally open valve would be open in a power cut.

Any pumped heating can be set to turn on by pipe stats as suggested. a combination of hi and low are best to remove heat but avoid corrosion/ thermal shock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, It's a normally open mv valve I had in mind where either the Cyl or the Rad circuit would be open at any given time. I'm also aware of not relying on electricity to keep valves and pumps working. Which is why there is also a heat leak rad on the system feeding a utility room. The House is 10 years old.
Where can I read a copy of part L as I'd like to read it.
How can you put a temp pressure relief valve on an open vented system. ?
Thanks

Just Google building regs part L. And part g for the hot water relief stuff.

As you rad system is not gravity i assume then you must have a normally open valve on the gravity side / hot water side.

Last edited:
Just Google building regs part L. And part g for the hot water relief stuff.

As you rad system is not gravity i assume then you must have a normally open valve on the gravity side / hot water side.

The whole system is open vented hot water and the Rads which is why I'm looking to put an MV Valve on the Cyl so as I can have either hot water or Rad heating.
Thanks AWheating for the partl info I'll have a read of that.

The whole system is open vented hot water and the Rads which is why I'm looking to put an MV Valve on the Cyl so as I can have either hot water or Rad heating.
Thanks AWheating for the partl info I'll have a read of that.

just to clear it up, open vented and gravity are two different things. Gravity means no pump and circulation of hot water uses mother nature. open vented just means the system is open to atmosphere not sealed.

just to clear it up, open vented and gravity are two different things. Gravity means no pump and circulation of hot water uses mother nature. open vented just means the system is open to atmosphere not sealed.
Correct. Gravity is the creation of a thermal loop simply by heating the water causing it to rise all the way to the Cyl. With an expansion pipe providing the expansion in the system.
A sealed system will usually have an expansion tank to provide for safety in the sealed system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Cyl control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock