Currently reading:
Hi, Help needed - thinking of starting up

Discuss Hi, Help needed - thinking of starting up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rodders

Hi everyone.

This is a great forum and have spent some time reading some threads. I think it's great everyone can share their knowledge and expertise.

Two weeks before Christmas I was made redundant. I was an apprentice gas engineer and had gained my Level 2 Domestic Plumbing NVQ and my ACS assessment (CCN1, CENWAT, CKR1, CPA1, & HTR1). As I was made redundant I did not finish my 3 year apprenticeship and only had 15 months on-site experience. I missed out on my Level 3 NVQ.

However, I am looking to set myself up and wanted some advice.

I would be looking to start with small jobs such as the odd cold radiator, powerflushing, rad changes, adding a radiator to an existing system, frozen condense pipes (and maybe re-routing condense internally in the house). Things like that. Once I gain a customer base and get confidence I would be looking to do boiler services and boiler changes.

The first thing I was thinking about was a van - I read somewhere on here about people with "small" vans and them wishing they had a bigger van. Would it be ideal to start with a big van even though for a few months I may not need all that room? What are peoples views on a 2006 - 2009 Vauxhall Vivaro? Do they have enough space (short wheel base)? Are they any good? Some online reviews of that van seem ok.

Secondly is the cost of setting up. Seems you need to be in mega money to start! I only have a few very basic hand tools, so would need to buy everything! I hate to buy cheap (and buy twice) so good tools aren't cheap. Are there any grants to help young (25 years old lol) people set up a business. The Job Centre reckon I have to be out of work 6 months to be eligible for a 300 quid grant!

I want to buy a powerflushing machine (a Kamco CF90) and magnet (Combimag) considering the price of the Kamco unit and magnet is it worth it? Looks a decent but of kit.

The last thing I wanted to ask about was getting called to a job that you don't know what your doing. I don't have a great deal of experience and I am really worried of getting called to a job (such as a breakdown) and having no clue what I'm doing. I have no real experience in breakdowns and am worried about going to look at breakdowns. Is there any advice you could give me? Are there any really good courses that will improve my experience and confidence.

Cheers for reading

Hello Rodders, with the qualifications you have already got, you should be able to take on most jobs.
you could always call someone else in to help out.
I would stick to building up a basic range of tools, then advance to kit like power flushing.

keep in touch with the people you worked with espically those who were also made redundant if you get stuck they may be able to help you with advice sharing big tools etc

Thanks - theres a few people I could call, never thought of that to be honest!

never change your mobile number

hi rodders.

just think 'this time next year weel be million airs'

If you are setting yourself us self employed just watch what you spend. Everyone likes a shiny van and top quality tools but things are tight and prices are low so think before you spend money on things you don't really need and can't really afford. It takes a lot of jobs to pay for a big purchase
A vivaro - transit or any other van that size will do you for anything you need to do now or in the future. You can get a 06 plate for under 3 grand if you shop around but do you really need to spend 3 grand or more on a van? A small van like a combo would also do you for most things (you can fit a bath in one) and could be had for a good bit less and also be cheaper to run.
You will need some basic power tools like a cordless and an SDS gun but maybe start off getting an account with a tool hire place and hire the stuff you don't have as you need it. A powerflush machine and magna will set you back about a grand but you can hire one for 30 quid as you need it.

dont get sucked in by everyone trying to sell you advertising.
I always think if someone phones you and its not a customer then they want your money.
good luck.

dont get sucked in by everyone trying to sell you advertising.
I always think if someone phones you and its not a customer then they want your money.
good luck.

Cheers, I will avoid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi, Help needed - thinking of starting up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back