Currently reading:
Hello from Port Glasgow

Discuss Hello from Port Glasgow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

redicicle

Hello folks, I'm just new to the forum. Got to the ripe old age of 25 and decided I need a career change away from the call centre work I've been doing for the last 8 years. Looking to get some good advice and maybe a start somewhere from this forum.

Cheers,
H:D

Hi redicicle

Welcome to the forums,good luck in the career change,think you will need it at the moment,call centre would look nice and cosy for many plumbers at the moment :eek:perator:

welcome mate and good luck, you will need it at the moment cheapest option is school leaver as you can pay them pennies, and few week long courses aren't worth it. You could try get a job as a labourer see if you prefer the manual work to call centres

also if you did get a job as a labourer you could get a look at other trades working and see which you prefer

Last edited:
welcome mate and good luck, you will need it at the moment cheapest option is school leaver as you can pay them pennies, and few week long courses aren't worth it. You could try get a job as a labourer see if you prefer the manual work to call centres

Thanks, when I was 16 I was labouring with a local building firm, they were cowboys lost the contract but no one would take me on, which left me not a lot of options so fell intoo call centre rubbish :(

Hi redicicle

Welcome to the forums,good luck in the career change,think you will need it at the moment,call centre would look nice and cosy for many plumbers at the moment :eek:perator:

Hahaha it's ok, but I've got to a point where I cannot go any further unless I change to a management role and that doesn't interest me. Plumbing's always been something I wanted to do but only built up the courage to do something about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know a few joiners/plumbers etc who are now labouring on sites as there is not enough work out there so it may be a foot in the door at least try get into a plumbing/heating firm as a plumbers mate or labourer and stick at it ive worked with plumbers mates who had no quals but were good at their work, then when market recovers ask to get your quals

i know a few joiners/plumbers etc who are now labouring on sites as there is not enough work out there so it may be a foot in the door at least try get into a plumbing/heating firm as a plumbers mate or labourer and stick at it ive worked with plumbers mates who had no quals but were good at their work, then when market recovers ask to get your quals

From the many Google searches and websites I've been on lately I think this is the best or only option at the minute. As has been said I don't want to go near these companies that get you 'qualified' in a matter of months, I almost fell into that trap.

in scotland u need svq3 minimum, and thats a 4 year apprenticeship. Get a job first as plumbers mate if you can and if your good enough you will soon be able to work alongside the plumber/heating engineer, then you can start asking to do apprenticeship

in scotland u need svq3 minimum, and thats a 4 year apprenticeship. Get a job first as plumbers mate if you can and if your good enough you will soon be able to work alongside the plumber/heating engineer, then you can start asking to do apprenticeship

Thanks a lot mate, any good recommendations on the companies to ask? I've emailed just about everyone of the big companies like British Gas etc.

try the large site companies who build schools, hospitals etc like balfour beatty and FES etc it wont be easy it will be soul destroying imho

try the large site companies who build schools, hospitals etc like balfour beatty and FES etc it wont be easy it will be soul destroying imho

I'll get a few emails sent to them, I'm it to be a complete nightmare but I'd do anything to get into plumbing and away from the call centre work. Thanks very much for you're help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hello from Port Glasgow in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back