Search the forum,

Discuss Heat top half of tank in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

M

Matthen

Hi -
I've got a dual element E7 vented hot water system. Currently, the immersion heater at the bottom heats the tank every night - assuming minimal hot water usage, it uses between 2 and 3 kWh every night. Thing is, I don't use much hot water - I have a dishwasher and electric shower - I imagine I use less than 20 L a day, unless I bath.

If I swap the wiring over, so I only heat the top half of the tank, and then "boost" the bottom when I fancy a bath, will there be a risk of legionella growing in the bottom half of the tank? Top half will be heated to 65*C (ish). I suspect doing this will half the power draw from the cylinder, which could be a significant saving next year.

The main risk with legionella is from a shower anyway - and yours is electric. Even if there were legionella in the water at the bottom of the cylinder, you are drawing off the hot water from the top which, being maintained at 65, won't contain legionella. The water isn't stagnating as you are using some water every day.

In practice, MOST cylinders will have a certain amount of water at the bottom that sits at 40° or so. My inclination is to say that provided the cylinder is genuinely heated through at least once a week there isn't an issue.

Reply to Heat top half of tank in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock