Discuss gas portfolio in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tailored

hi, iv completed a gas course and my next step is to complete a portfolio. unfortunately this step has proven difficult to find a gas safe engineer. if there is any gas engineer in the south east of london that is willing to help or direct me in the right path that will be much appreciated. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
It might well be a worth being a bit more specific as south London is a large area & difficult to travel across, your best bet would be to find someone close who you could jump in the their van at the beginning of the day & be with all day (of course you will not be paid for your help / hinderance).
If at all possible you need to focus your persuasive powers on engineers carrying out Landlord cert's or breakdown work so that you get to see a lot of different things quickly.
Where did you do your gas training ? How much on-job experience have you got to get? Take your own FGA along so you can practise using it not their one which might well be different.
Good Luck

You also might want to consider travelling further afield, well away from your catchment area where you're not perceived as future competition!

It might well be a worth being a bit more specific as south London is a large area & difficult to travel across, your best bet would be to find someone close who you could jump in the their van at the beginning of the day & be with all day (of course you will not be paid for your help / hinderance).
If at all possible you need to focus your persuasive powers on engineers carrying out Landlord cert's or breakdown work so that you get to see a lot of different things quickly.
Where did you do your gas training ? How much on-job experience have you got to get? Take your own FGA along so you can practise using it not their one which might well be different.
Good Luck

im in the lewisham borough but willing to travel. some gas engineers said they cant pay me in return iv said u dont have to pay me butstill get no luck. I thought free labour wwas a good thing right??
I done gas training at able skills in dartford.
the portfolio consists of 3 installs and 6 services or 6 installs and 3 services and that covers everything.
FGA????

im in the lewisham borough but willing to travel. some gas engineers said they cant pay me in return iv said u dont have to pay me butstill get no luck. I thought free labour wwas a good thing right??
I done gas training at able skills in dartford.
the portfolio consists of 3 installs and 6 services or 6 installs and 3 services and that covers everything.
FGA????
But it's not free labour is it ? (well maybe on the installs) you are training, they have to tell/show you what to do & then check your work which takes them longer than if they did it themselves, after all, they have to put there name to your work !!
Did you not consider this requirement & have some gas work lined-up before you started your off the job training ?
FGA = flue gas analyzer, which ever working gas engineer must have & you will need before you carry out any servicing.
Can I also suggest that you will need more than the minimum requirements of the portfolio to be able to tackle the CCN1 you any confidantes.

But it's not free labour is it ? (well maybe on the installs) you are training, they have to tell/show you what to do & then check your work which takes them longer than if they did it themselves, after all, they have to put there name to your work !!
Did you not consider this requirement & have some gas work lined-up before you started your off the job training ?
FGA = flue gas analyzer, which ever working gas engineer must have & you will need before you carry out any servicing.
Can I also suggest that you will need more than the minimum requirements of the portfolio to be able to tackle the CCN1 you any confidantes.

I completely understand that a little bit more time is needed on an apprentice. but everyone needs a hand now an again. it swings round roundabouts but hey thats just me.
Iv done one install and got photos and used the FGA. but the jobs are not coming often enough from the gas engineer, so i thought id get some advice on here an maybe and persever in the correct way.
what other requirements do I need to tackle the ccn1???

You don't NEED a FGA for servicing, it will depend what you service

You don't NEED a FGA for servicing, it will depend what you service
I know that & you know that but more to the point this guy will need to be able to use a FGA as it is now tested for within the CCN1 so best that he practice using it don't you think.

I know that & you know that but more to the point this guy will need to be able to use a FGA as it is now tested for within the CCN1 so best that he practice using it don't you think.

I agree, and anywhere doing halfway decent training will cover enough of it to pass CCN1,which is very basic and more in line with knowing action levels and being able to interpret results,

I agree, and anywhere doing halfway decent training will cover enough of it to pass CCN1,which is very basic and more in line with knowing action levels and being able to interpret results,

so basically I need ti buy my own fga practice being familiar with it as they taught me in the training class but try and get my own jobs while being supervised by a gas safe engineer??

can anyone recommend anything else that could help me be gas safe.

thank you all for your input..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas portfolio in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back