Discuss fixing boiler on insulation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon F

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
in the process of doing a new boiler thats being moved to the loft. when I first looked at the job the loft wall was just breeze block, the owner has now put insulation on the wall, its a 2" foam with foil on both sides. the guy is an engineer of some sort and has provided some cut off steel tube as a sleeve through the insulation and some bolts to hang the boiler bracket from and is expecting the boiler to sit on the insulation, to be fair it is quite rigid.

It was a new one for me, gut feeling was to prefer putting a sheet of fire board against it, or at least something.
anyone experienced this? what's the best course of action?

I would want some more solid backing. Is the securing bolts straight through into the breeze block?
I AR'd a boiler today for being poorly secured to a wood paneling wall.

I would want some more solid backing. Is the securing bolts straight through into the breeze block?
I AR'd a boiler today for being poorly secured to a wood paneling wall.

the boiler has not been fitted yet, i didn't like the idea of it going directly on to the insulation boards as he was expecting, so I got on with some radiator and pipework.
the bolts he's got would go into the block and be well secured, I just wasn't very comfortable with the idea, and suggested some board to cover the insulation
just wondering if anyone had had the same situation and what they did?

it needs to be mounted a non combustible material , the MI will say by how much overlap i think and stress the word think the vokera i did last year was about 75mm all way round

it needs to be mounted a non combustible material , the MI will say by how much overlap i think and stress the word think the vokera i did last year was about 75mm all way round
is a foil backed insulation a combustible or noncombustible surface?
the guy did say he's got a sheet of aluminium that could sit under the boiler

depends on its grading imho , if it were me id put my own there that id provided

the boiler has not been fitted yet, i didn't like the idea of it going directly on to the insulation boards as he was expecting, so I got on with some radiator and pipework.
the bolts he's got would go into the block and be well secured, I just wasn't very comfortable with the idea, and suggested some board to cover the insulation
just wondering if anyone had had the same situation and what they did?
My concern would be the insulation panels would not be firm enough and compress through time.
I would want a non-compressible backing.
Most new HE boilers do not require the non-combustable backing as they run a lot cooler than standard efficiency boilers.

while we're on the subject of combustible surfaces,
would plasterboard be classed as a combustible surface if it wasn't skimmed?

you can get some that is , its pink its what i used for the one i fitted

it depends on the manufacturer , if it were me id ring them to clarify

Yeah as far as i know most are ok to mount on a combustible surface im sure their are exceptions so best check the mi's

Do the mi's say they cant be mounted on combustable surface
many say their is no issue
its intergas, I just had a look and only seems to mention that "the wall needs to be sufficiently strong to support the weight of the boiler" which it will be as the bolts will go into the block.
I will fit a sheet of plasterboard anyway just to be sure
the insulation is really quite rigid, that was the point really, it would probably have been OK, but I dind't feel happy with it and just throwing it in really to get your ideas.

yeah we done a job recently and used uni strut frame off masonry wall to mount 3 boilers once ther properly supported ther wont be an issue was told by vokera tech that i could use mdf of sheet of marine ply aswell

platerboard is not a non combustable material. it use for boiler mounting depends on what its fixed to i believe but as mentioned most modern boilers can be mounted on non combustable materials today.

1/2" plasterboard is 30 minutes fire rated. Doubled up is 1 hr. The pink stuff is 1 hr.
Kingspan is stable enough but is not fire rated. I would put a bit 6mm asbestolux or supalux on it.

Kingspan is used as floor insulation under concrete slabs so it would be strong enough to take the boler , not sure if its combustable or not .

lol i thought that too, but asked a plasterer why they were green and he said fireproof....carnt trust a plasterer

The pink stuff is the 1hr fire rated plasterboard. ½" double sheeted or planking is the same.

Green is water resistant (NOT proof)

And for the real plaster board enthusiast!! Blue is for acoustic deadening. I've used it on party walls in the past. Forget how many decibles it reduces the sound by. Think 28, I'll have to go check now.

Just found this thread, my main concern would be the bolts fixing to the wall.

Imagine bolts unsupported for 50mm then the weight of the boiler hanging , I cant imagine the insulation board will provide a lot of support ??

cant you just cut out enough of the insulation to get the boiler fixed to the breeze blocks its the length of the fixings that bothers me but you dont say how thick the insulation is up to fifty mm id think ok for bolts but anything more and i wouldnt be happy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fixing boiler on insulation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock