Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Ferroli modena 32c he - hot tap contamination in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I know these boilers don't have a good reputation but it's been reliable.

I have a hot water contamination that only ever appears on the hot tap noticing it in all the hot water outlets (collecting in mixer tap filters).

On a soft water feed.

The flakes are non conductive and didn't desolve in limescale remover.

It's flakey and brown/orange.

I can electrically isolate the boiler and run the hot tap and no contamination occurs so hot temp related maybe ?

Boiler has been in 4 years and recently serviced running like a new boiler.

Asked a few heating engineers and shown the flakes and none has identified or seen it before.

The boiler is under guarantee but I have lost the commissioning sheet and they have told me that if the fault isn't the boiler I will be charged £300.

Before I take the risk of being charged £300 wondering if anyone can help or has any idea ?

Picture attached

View attachment 20181220_094843.jpg

Do you have a water softener?

I would say there softener Cristals

There isn't a combi mate installed ?

I know these boilers don't have a good reputation but it's been reliable.

I have a hot water contamination that only ever appears on the hot tap noticing it in all the hot water outlets (collecting in mixer tap filters).

On a soft water feed.

The flakes are non conductive and didn't desolve in limescale remover.

It's flakey and brown/orange.

I can electrically isolate the boiler and run the hot tap and no contamination occurs so hot temp related maybe ?

Boiler has been in 4 years and recently serviced running like a new boiler.

Asked a few heating engineers and shown the flakes and none has identified or seen it before.

The boiler is under guarantee but I have lost the commissioning sheet and they have told me that if the fault isn't the boiler I will be charged £300.

Before I take the risk of being charged £300 wondering if anyone can help or has any idea ?

Picture attached

View attachment 36037
If you can hang on until just after Boxing Day We are going out for a meal with the designer of this unit and his bride and I will ask him if you like
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

I'm wondering whether they are pieces of plastic rather than mineral. The picture makes the crystals look as though a thin flat sheet of the material has broken up. Is this what they look like in real life?

Well only ever see them on the hot tap.

When I switch the boiler off they don't appear from the hot tap.

That picture is maybe a few weeks build up from the kitchen tap (trapped by the filter).

I've had theories it's a coating off maybe a pipe or like a plastic washer stuck, but then it only appears from the hot tap when boiler is switched on.

UPDATE.

Put some of the contamination in sulphamic acid and 2-3 minutes it was fizzying and fully dissolved.

So it's limescale.

Very annoying really as I'm with Northumberland water and it says on a soft water supply.

I've done a test and it's 140ppm which is slightly hard.

Can now someone give me advice on the following.

Shall I arrange for the heat exchanger to be removed and descaled or just install one of them inline softeners £30-£70 (advice on type)

Or shall I do both?

Inline soft on the cold to the boiler

I think in the £30 - £70 region you're just going to get a magnetic scale inhibitor rather than a water softener.

If you can, I think you'd be better off spending a bit more and fitting a combimate, they don't take up much space and are more effective than the inline magnetic ones. A real water softener would be even better but they take up more room and are iirc more expensive.

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/floma...ression-connection-scale-inhibitor-15mm/1436f

I would take the 10 years with a pinch of salt tho might need replacing after 4 years

I think in the £30 - £70 region you're just going to get a magnetic scale inhibitor rather than a water softener.

If you can, I think you'd be better off spending a bit more and fitting a combimate, they don't take up much space and are more effective than the inline magnetic ones. A real water softener would be even better but they take up more room and are iirc more expensive.

Agree much better depends how much the op wants to spend

Agree much better depends how much the op wants to spend

Have you got any experience with Aqua Dial Combi Care Compact? It uses polyphosphates like the Combimate, but its a lot cheaper (£45 -£60). It looks a bit more utilitarian and unlike Combimate it can only be fitted onto 15mm but they claim its WRAS approved so should be suitable for protecting the HEX.

I just don't know any one in the real world that's used one, unlike the Combimate which I've heard good things about from people I trust. I do most of my work in Birmingham so its not something we have to consider with our soft Welsh water, but have been trying to decide what to fit for my mum who is down in London.

Have you got any experience with Aqua Dial Combi Care Compact? It uses polyphosphates like the Combimate, but its a lot cheaper (£45 -£60). It looks a bit more utilitarian and unlike Combimate it can only be fitted onto 15mm but they claim its WRAS approved so should be suitable for protecting the HEX.

I just don't know any one in the real world that's used one, unlike the Combimate which I've heard good things about from people I trust. I do most of my work in Birmingham so its not something we have to consider with our soft Welsh water, but have been trying to decide what to fit for my mum who is down in London.

Yes there cack they leak after a few years

Cheers for the help.

With it being on the low scale I'll try the screwfix link again provided. See how it goes.

Rob still might be worth him giving his opinion.

The colour still isn't really how I expect limescale to look.

Feb or Jan rob ?

The colour itself wasn't odd imo, you can get quite dark brown limescale, it was the translucence which was unusual for limescale, but I suppose depending on how and on what it forms can affect this.

do you have problems with hot water temp ?

if no i wouldnt

Wow really rob didn't expect that.

I can certainly hang on its been doing this a while now.

Thank you much appreciated.
I have had our 1st board meeting of 2019. I showed your picture of the debris and its explaination to the designer of the Modena ....he catergorically rules out anything from his boiler and stated contamination in the hot water supply pipe. Hope this helps
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to Ferroli modena 32c he - hot tap contamination in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock