Search the forum,

Discuss experienced worker without qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wfs

Hi everyone, Ive been a plumber for 28 years but never gained qualifications,i am a supervisor (with gold cscs card obtained through the "profile route")for an M&E company and thinking about leaving but the stumblingblock is lack of qualifications.Ive read numerous stuff on short courses etc but was wondering if there is anyone with same problem and how is the quickest way of gaining quals. Any help appreciated.

Hello wfs and welcome check out ciphe web site think there is something to do with exp. workers and qualifications on there good luck and let us know if you have any luck.:)regards turnpin

Hi Turnpin, I went on there as I was in the same group as WFS(welcome WFS) explained the situation gone a letter back in quick time and told me to go do a NVQ2 and re-apply, decided I did'nt want to join their club, so I am experienced but no plumbing quals, just got my others gas water electrickery etc

Hi Turnpin, I went on there as I was in the same group as WFS(welcome WFS) explained the situation gone a letter back in quick time and told me to go do a NVQ2 and re-apply, decided I did'nt want to join their club, so I am experienced but no plumbing quals, just got my others gas water electrickery etc

Hi stani just checked what I posted earlier and looking under membership catagories on ciphe site where it states associate member requires nvq 2 or c&g craft certs[1980`s]
or No formal qualifications but extensive practical experience supported by trade references and where necessary an inspection by one of ciphe`s inspectors . Maybe Ciphe might like to post a clarification as this seems a tad unclear in light of your experience with them:)best regards turnpin

Thx turnpin for prompt reply,even though stani has given possibly reply ive emailed them anyway.Just thought there would be a easy way but obviously not. :)

wfs, let us know how you get on mate, my experience was about 4-5 years ago, they may have changed the requirements.
cheers. Stani

I have never been asked in 15yrs to show my qualifications, sorry once when I turned down a job with BG, If you go to any employer and show that you have worked for so and so for 28yrs then iam sure they will be more than impressed with that.

depends on the type of company
small ones are not bothered, any decent job u need em

Is your gold card a Jib card? If it is then you don't need nothing.
If not? I don't know what the profile route is, it is meaningless to me and anyone can buy a cscs for ÂŁ50. Even the buroo will pay for that.
Have you been with the same M&E mob for ?? years? and what knowledge have you gained.

As Blackcat and Fuzzy said if you can prove who you worked for you won't need them but domestic is a lot different to commercial. If you are going from M&E to another M&E you should be ok. I personally wouldn't give a M&E guy a second look for domestic. You are too used to someone wiping your r se and will be as slow as a week in jail and wouldn't move in a convulsion!

I have never or ever known anyone to be asked for proof of quals but then again i only associate with guys who actually do know their stuff. If you know your stuff your rep will precede you. Name drop a few you have worked for and you may be in. Big companies are a bit different but work much the same. Who you know gets you as far as what you know and it will surprise you who knows who in this game.

I used to know a few older (sic) guys who don't have and never have had official quals as you used to have to do night school to get them off your own bat so most never bothered. Only know of 1 now and he is due to retire.

If you are rubbish you will be out the door in a week anyway so sell yourself within your capabilities. Stick to what you know best and you should be ok.

i have been in the plumbing game not long as you ,last mount some fella called looking for work ,i had 4 boiler change jobs planed for this mount and i thought i could do with a bit of help ! the fella thought me he is not gas safe but has 4 years experience and he lost his job as work dryed out ! so I gave him a start day on a job conventional out new combi in !took the fella all day to change 5 sets of valve and to take a rad of the wall .....

As Blackcat and Fuzzy said if you can prove who you worked for you won't need them but domestic is a lot different to commercial. If you are going from M&E to another M&E you should be ok. I personally wouldn't give a M&E guy a second look for domestic. You are too used to someone wiping your r se and will be as slow as a week in jail and wouldn't move in a convulsion!

k.

your on to me

quite right Blackcatgas.just worried that any cv i submit will be dismissed because people assume..... Just posted because i thought their would be similar senarios out there

I have had similar experience, and i have city and guilds, recently had to renew my wiaps because a particular employer insisted that i sit through three days of tedium despite having qualified several years earlier, and then there was unvented, and then part p and now 17th edition...soon we will all be too busy requalifying we wont have time to work...

isn't there some sort of fast track for experienced guys, not training centres but through college. I always believed 5 years in the trade and you got special priviliges, i.e.

Nick/matt1,its the same with health and safety? i did my supervisors cscs now i have to do a 2 day sssts (site supervisor safety training scheme) its never ending!!! I find myself getting jobs done but falling behind with health and safety issues,The amount of paperwork involved is surely a fire risk:)

trouble is, now that i am entering management level, the courses are endless...I might just go back to jobbin, at least i can organise my own day without all the conference calls and chasing suppliers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to experienced worker without qualifications in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock