Discuss Enclosure of a Worcester Greenstar 25 Si /30 Si in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amezcua

I have just ( 2 days ) had a Greenstar 25 Si fitted and the plumber said it needed enclosing in an air tight cupboard. He recommended making a front cover a few inches from the front surface. The instruction book says it should have a clearance of 600mm minimum. It`s at the end of the bath --- (front surface is ) ---just above the taps . Most photos show it in kitchens without any cover. It seems designed to be open and pretty. The booklet warns of overheating if enclosed. Which is correct?

It doesnt want to be fitted in an air tight cuboard. Worcester reccomend that any cuboard under a certain size (i cant quote it from memory but its in the instructions) needs aditional ventilation, the size of theses vents are given in the instructions too. This is ventilation for cooling not for combustion.

If its at the end of the bath it needs to be in a cuboard, its a reg, its so that you cant stand in the bath and touch it with wet hands and elec trucute yourself. Putting a boiler in a bathroom is in my opinion always as a last resort.
I wouldnt have fitted it unless the cuboard was already there eeven if the customer promised to have the cuboard fitted after I left as they probably wouldnt bother because of the extra expense/asthetics of the cuboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its at the end of the bath it needs to be in a cuboard, its a reg, its so that you cant stand in the bath and touch it with wet hands and elec trucute yourself. Putting a boiler in a bathroom is in my opinion always as a last resort.
sorry Blackcat, t'was typing at the same time as you

I`m getting the picture now. Everyone has to put rubber wellies on before using the shower . My wife says the shower water is a lot hotter than she likes on the lowest setting and it`s not so steady in temperature .The last heater was a Chafoteux for DHW only . I just worked out what DHW means . Mixing hot and cold tap supplies seems to be going backwards . The surface finish for cupboards in bathrooms is a pain. Gloss goes yellow and varnish peels. I need some plastic coated panels or that very shiny white paint . Not sure what it is at the moment. It never shows brush marks. So the vents fitted previously will be ok . Good. And what a good forum.

does it have a non mechanical timer or mechanical timer/rf mechanical timer?

i have never fitting a boiler in a bathroom before except in an proper A/C, never seemed to be a good idea to me.

i cant believe it has been left connected without the cupboard build around it?

Last edited:
-----Safety Zones -----
It has a radio transmitter downstairs .The plumber advised to fit the enclosure and stressed not to adjust anything while in the shower (over the bath ) .
Very ominously the diagrams showing the safety zones starts with a bath in a corner of a room.All the bath and above is zone 1. then a 600mm zone 2 all round.
The position of my boiler just fitted is just an inch back from the end of the bath with a separation / cupboard door ----still to be fitted. The radio transmitter control system does not allow that. (With or without RCD protection.)
--- Earth Bonding ---
When the plumber arranged to come we asked for all copper pipes and no plastic to maintain the earth bonding .After the pipes were fitted there were 2 large Speedfix pipes running out of the boiler.(First time we have ever has Central Heating here.) When I discussed that he seemed very puzzled as if he had never heard about such a thing . Then he phoned for some earhing wire and clips and connected the boiler to the section beneath the floor where it became copper again.(About 4 feet away). It`s strange because the older fittings had been cut out with the bonding clips attached and the earth wires cut through and still attached to the chuckouts. My wife is thinking the present arrangement is not safe. (Hence all our shouting and stress between us yesterday ----and today . It really was loud too.What must the neighbours think? )
-----Sarcasm ----
After the new wires were attached the plumber said "There`s -Your Wires ". (Last two words stressed in a kind of sarcastic tone. ) I know what electrical inspectors are like. They don`t recognise sarcasm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have a bit of a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post some pictures then we can see whats what

Well I can`t do pictures but at the bath end are taps . Travel vertically up a foot or two and there`s the end of a "future enclosure". So it`s Wall--Bath--Boiler--Wall. No gaps .All in a line.
The false ceiling hides a triangular section above (original shape ). Can the boiler be raised out of the danger zone above the 2250 mm limit? It would save my poor old floorboards extra trauma.

Was the installer gas safe registered or did you or your mate fit it

The man wuo runs the firm is gas safe. He always maintains our gas appliances.( Fires and the previous boiler ). His partner was an electrician (not working for them now but you judge people sometimes on the company they keep ). He was spot on with every rule you could ask him. Very efficient .Labels on everything . Very tidy. He checked all the wiring in my daughters house too . You could not fault him . I had never met the fitter before this job. We have never tried to reduce prices or cut any corners either. Mentally I am already geared up for some spectacular renovations to sort this. My poor old floorboards. Never mind , I changed the whole floor in the bedroom some time back . (15x12 )All tongue and groove timber . I know the drill by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Enclosure of a Worcester Greenstar 25 Si /30 Si in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back