Search the forum,

Discuss Earth bonding on new installs / swaps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

How many of you cross-bond the pipes into the boiler? I've had a sparky tell me that it must always be done in 10mm[SUP]2 [/SUP]but he is a bit of a gobby tw@ who thinks he knows everything and likes slagging other trades off.

I've always been told that as the boiler chassis is earthed, as long as resistance to earth is within limits, there's no need for cross-bonding. If I'm doing a swap and there's cross-bonding already there I'll re-attach it but otherwise not. Anybody know the definitive answer?

I'm happy to be corrected if what I was taught is wrong, just want to know what's what!

No need for cross bond if main gas and water are bonded and metal jig on the boiler (like the worcester jigs)

If no jig needs cross bonding

and tbh most people use 10mm for mains gas and water so it's just what they got on the van

Not sure , but was told if new consumer unit (RCD) is fitted then no cross bonding required,

ask a decent sparky who knows the latest regs. 10mm is a bit ott and as mentioned isnt always needed, in fact cross bonding in some circumstances can cause a problem not solve it!!!

i just tell them a sparky needs to test /or fit bonding. not even going to half guess leave it with them and sign it as such!

As jtsplumbing mentioned it is generally not required if consumer unit meets current regs with RCD protection in place.
Only the water mains and gas are required to have PEB.
But I have been told some of the electrical regs are as clear as some of our gas regs and there are some circumstances when it would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Earth bonding on new installs / swaps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock