Currently reading:
Dreaded Boilermate 2000

Discuss Dreaded Boilermate 2000 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have a Gledhill Boilermate 2000 system installed in my house which seems to have a fault. The local plumber that I have looking at it is wanting to replace the whole system which I am not sure is necessary. He has suggested that I contact Gledhill Technical support but at £1.50 per minute to speak to them I would rather not! I was hoping someone here could could suggest a possible cause of the issues so that I can point him in the right direction.

The heating is working fine, the issue is with the hot water. There are 2 showers and a bath in the property and the hot water from all of them turns cold briefly regularly during use.

With the shower running what is happening is the DHW pump in the Boilermate 2000 is turning off briefly every couple of minutes (or less). With the front panel off of the Boilermate 2000 I can hear the pump turn off, the LED bar 3 on the display turns off briefly (a few seconds) then the pump starts again. That bar on the LED display indicates if the pump is running or not.

Pressing SW2 on the control board so the display show the DHW Outlet temperature, it rises up to between 50-55 degrees, the pump stops, temperature drops and then the pump starts and temperature rises again. Occasionally what happens is the display reads around 52 degrees, the pump stops and the temperature on the display jumps to 85 degrees and then immediately back down to 52 and drops before the pump starts again.

There are occasionally times where it just works normally, when it does then the temperature of the DHW outlet is a steady 54 degrees and the pump keeps running.

Can you offer any suggestions as the where the problem is ie Faulty control board, pump, temperature sensor or heat exchanger?

Thanks in advance!

The PHE and DHW sensors. Have always done them together.

I’m not. The OP said for £20.00 a thermista he was going to get it changed. I didn’t suggest changing it at all. All I said was I would do the DHW and PHE sensor at the same time if you are doing the one.
Yeah I’d change both, might as well for £15 or £20. Sounds like customer has pretty much had enough already :)

There are two big estates round my neck of the woods fitted with boiler mates, Around 250 of them in total. 8 times out of 10 it is the sensor which we find at fault. We also swap them both out at the same time and we change them routinely on its 5 year service as experience has taught us that they don't last much longer. We explain it to the customer as like changing their spark plugs on a car. They may still work ok for now but almost certainly are not performing at there best and may fail at any time. the next most common thing is the pump head needs changing. Also never had to change out the plate they are quite good with decent ports and good flow through and very rarely scale up. but I am in Yorkshire with lovey soft Dales filtered water so scale is hardly ever a problem around here.

I had one of these in my own house and the house of my father in/law. Since have both been changed to a worcester 30si compact and a worcester 30RI heat only with a unvented cylinder. Price may seem costly but my it is worth the expense as gledhills are simply a pain in the arse!

I put my money on the board being at fault we replace Adair few on the states round where I live. Barring the odd pump going it’s the only thing we replace on them. But again I would 99 percent say it will be the board they are rubbish

I have exactly the same problem. I wondered if you ever got resolution?
Yes I did, and fixed it. In my case it was a Thermistor on the heat exchanger that was faulty.

You can see if yours is faulty by checking the temp for the HW on the LED display when the water is running. Mine was jumping up to around 85 degrees and causing the pump to shut off temporarily and then going back to 60 degrees. 85 degrees should not be not possible.

This is a link to the repalcement Thermmistor:

Shut of the mains water, turn of the power to it, bit of PTFE round the thread and it was done.
BM2000.PNG

I have exactly the same problem. I wondered if you ever got resolution?
To see the HW temp, press SW2 Three times and the display will read HXX (xx it the temp)

SW2 is the second swich down below the LED display.

It is also possible that your main board is faulty, sensor is cheap to replace first though.

Reply to Dreaded Boilermate 2000 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock