Search the forum,

Discuss Don't you just hate Manufacturers service agents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Always blaming the installation and never the boiler.

I had that problem today on an Atag A325 ECX. Only thing was the boot was on the other foot today.

Had a call from Wayne Herbert at Atag to go look at the boiler. The fault noted was no pressure in boiler pressure vessel faulty.

I rolled up to the job and noted that the pressure in the boiler was at zero. Took the casings off and discovered that the muppets that fitted the boiler hadn't thought fit to fit the isolating valve on the return, great no way to easily test the vessel against atmospheric pressure. As the pressue in the system was right down I checked the pressure and it seemed a wee bit low so I bunged some more in, taking it higher than normal to account for the fact that I was working against some water in the system. Refilled the system and it all fired up okay and seemed to be working okay. I hung around for a while and nothing seemed to much amiss. Put it down to a numpty engineer and left the job advising the customer to contact Atag should the problem re occur.

4 hours later I get a further call from Wayne, the pressure has dropped again. I go back to the property and the pressure is at zero again. Check the expansion vessel., pressure is the same as when I left it. Strip sump off, re pressurise system and check bottom of heat ex for leakage none evident. Okay perhaps it's a crack opening up when it's hot, put boiler in service mode and proceed to cook it. No visible pressure drop.

Now obviously the next step is to close the iso valves and prove where the leak is. Oh whoops there's no iso valve on the return. Okay time to think outside the box. I shut off the boiler, emptied the condense trap and cluttered off to remove a cooker. 2 hours later I called back and the pressure had dropped to .7 bar from the 2.4 bar I had left it at. The trap was bone dry and no sign of any discharge through the PRV so I've chucked it back as a leak on the system complete with a list of installation faults.

No Iso on return, No auto bypass (2 zone valves fitted), soldered connection to boiler pipework (instructions specify compression), no shock arrestor on cold main, No air gap on condense and system water filthy.

I bet I'm going to be popular with the installation company, bloody service agents always pushing the problem back on the installer.

image6 by Mike Jackson1, on Flickr

Hahahaha

on boy, i'm looking forward to getting a call from wayne now.

might even out the injustice against me.....

when you slip bum over head on ice.
do you tell the next numpty or do you watch with an evil grin?

Ignore my last comment I just read the title of the thread properly :)

Some of it in this area. There aren't that many calls to be honest. Most of the time it's service referrals. One local contractor uses Atag on new builds and carries out his own warranty work because of the number his guys fit but doesn't get involved on anything his firm hasn't fitted.

They must give an idea of price or you could just bill them for hundreds for a quick buck. Also do they provide you with a stock of parts to have on the van?

i do the same for BFM europe,only dealing with fires,there is a shocking lack of knowledge on how to fit a gas fire and mantel set properly every 10 i visit 4 are ID

If you do loads they provide you with a service case, otherwise they courier any parts out to you. I'll bill them the same as I would any other customer, this call has taken 3 hours over the 3 visits so they get billed for 3 hours labour. It's not worth taking the pee because I get referrals for new installs from them as wee.

I've a feeling that this one may well be billed back to the customer (BSW) as everything I've done should have been done by the guy on site before they rang the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Don't you just hate Manufacturers service agents in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock