Currently reading:
Do I have a faulty AAV / Durgo valve?

Discuss Do I have a faulty AAV / Durgo valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mussy

Hi
First up, I'm not a plumber so apologies in advance if I'm using the wrong terms!

My problem is, after returning from holiday, the downstairs toilet was very slow to drain. Plunging with a mop (about 500 times!) didn't help, and a 6' auger passed down and through with no blockages found. While plunging, I noticed the water was backing up through the bath plughole, so I sealed this off with duct tape, and the overflow, still no luck.

So, I thought I'd look at the other end and opened the inspection lid outside. With this off, the toilet flushed no problem and I could see the water whooshing past. Put the cover back on and the problem was back, a very slow draining toilet, so I suspected a venting problem somewhere.

Next up I thought I'd get a look at the new pipework, which was all boxed-in in a corner of the extension (built 4 years ago).

On flushing the toilet, I noticed the AAV valve was making a rapid "flapping" noise as the flap opened and closed - not sure if this is normal or if it should just open and close once? I removed the valve (it's a "Ventapipe 100") and the toilet once again flushed no problem. So this kind of led me to think the problem's with the AAV valve?

I took the valve to bits and it looks perfectly okay to me, it's only a few years old after all. Cleaned it all, although it didn't look like it needed it, and put it back together but it hasn't made any difference.

So in summary: Valve off, toilet flushes normally. Valve on, toilet bowl fills and is slow to drain and the AAV goes "d-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r". ???

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks Mike. That'd be great if I have, but before I go and buy a new one, does that sound like a faulty valve? It looks perfectly fine to me, almost brand new and there's nothing to indicate it's not working okay. Just this rapid flapping noise after the toilet's flushed, I'd have expected it just to open and close with a couple of clicks?

Okay, now I'm really stumped. Got a new AAV this morning, replaced the old one, and the problem's no better. Toilet is still slow to drain. Not massively, but the water level still rises more than it should - both the old and new valve give the same result.

I don't know where else to look now. It still suggests a venting problem somewhere but where could this be?

To recap:

Inspection cover off - toilet flushes no problem
Inspection cover on - toilet slow to drain
AAV off - toilet flushes no problem
AAV on - toilet slow to drain

The situation definitely improved greatly the first time I took the inspection cover off - so I'm guessing this released a bit of the pressure, but it's still not flushing properly.

Once again, any advice would be much appreciated.

have you got an external vent or just an AAV ?? personally I don't think an AAV on its own is enough for ventilation, you should have a permanent vent to outside aswell

sounds to me that it is blocked further down the run taking the lid of is preventing back preasure as is taking the durgo out

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for the response.

There's a main vent through the roof, but the new toilet (downstairs) doesn't link into this as far as I know. This is only served by the AAV.

The old toilet (upstairs) still flushes fine, no problem at all, and looking down the hatch outside, the water fairly rushes past, and there's no indication of it being blocked at all. Likewise, with the hatch up, the new toilet flushes and drains normally too.

Would the fact that we've been away for a couple of weeks affect this? I know there's been a load of rain here, and I was thinking that maybe the pressure's been building back on our system, and as we haven't been flushing, it's caused this problem? Like I said, it's WAY better since I lifted the inspection hatch, that seems to have released some of the back-pressure, but it's still not perfect.

go to next manhole on the line and see what the flow is like, there could be a block further down the line

deffinatly sounds like a blockage/partial blockage somewhere downstream of the toilet, you don't by any chance use those cleaner/freshners that hook onto the toilet bowl do you, had a lot of problems over the years with them coming off the bowl and getting flushed down the bog.

Hi guys, thanks for the response.

There's a main vent through the roof, but the new toilet (downstairs) doesn't link into this as far as I know. This is only served by the AAV.

The old toilet (upstairs) still flushes fine, no problem at all, and looking down the hatch outside, the water fairly rushes past, and there's no indication of it being blocked at all. Likewise, with the hatch up, the new toilet flushes and drains normally too.

Would the fact that we've been away for a couple of weeks affect this? I know there's been a load of rain here, and I was thinking that maybe the pressure's been building back on our system, and as we haven't been flushing, it's caused this problem? Like I said, it's WAY better since I lifted the inspection hatch, that seems to have released some of the back-pressure, but it's still not perfect.
thats because you have a full or partial blockage further down the line see if any of the gardens down your road are full of crap seeping out of their manhole

Re:foul air in bathroom

Hello all

we have developed a problem in our upstairs family bathroom - some foul air is coming into the room

The soil pipe is vented through the roof

Water is travelling through the system ok as I have checked down manholes

any ideas please - it is a complete mystery

many thanks

Pete

Re: foul air in bathroom

Hello all

we have developed a problem in our upstairs family bathroom - some foul air is coming into the room

The soil pipe is vented through the roof

Water is travelling through the system ok as I have checked down manholes

any ideas please - it is a complete mystery

many thanks

Pete

Hi Pete and welcome along. If your soil pipe is vented through the roof then you won't have an AAV (durgo)
In my experience smells come when there's a slight blockage occurring or traps are being syphoned by hair in traps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do I have a faulty AAV / Durgo valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock