Discuss Cylinder making a racket. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marples

Recently we have been having problems with our boiler (council) They have been out around 6-9 times in 3 weeks replacing new parts and a new pcb board. They have also replaced something in the cylinder cupboard but not exactly sure what. When the CH is on FULL, there is a loud noise coming from the cylinder cupboard sounds exactly like an earthquake crossed with a boiling kettle, this usually lasts for around 2-5 seconds. It goes quiet again then something makes a clicking noise. Won't happen again until about 10 minutes later.

Also the boiler which is a glow worm (not sure on model) comes up with an error code of either F4/F5 which then needs the front cover taking off then a little red switch/button pressing which is in the top left corner.

Anyone know why these things are happening? Thanks.

I am an apprentice and want to learn as much as possible about faults with appliances etc... Where better to start than my own home. (I will not be attempting to fix these problems, just interested)

quite simple mate, get them back !!! please don't remove the cover

quite simple mate, get them back !!! please don't remove the cover
Don't worry, I only know about the button from watching the engineer. I know my place as an apprentice.

sounds daft to me that they can come out 10 times and replace bits here and there. Probably costing 3x the amount of a new boiler with all the messing about.

Is it a pressurised system or is it vented? Is It s or y plan? Possible blocked cold feed? Heating zone valve sticking?

Get them back as it is overheating.

Vented and Y plan. I'll get onto them ASAP, Thanks for the advise.

Update on the above problem.

had them out roughly another 10 times each engineer saying something different and replacing different parts. One thought it was dragging air into the system so replaced pipework from cylinder to tank adding a type of copper push-fit with visible rubber washers (I've never seen them before and can't find them).
Another saying we had sludge in the system and told my parents he was going to flush the system and add cleaner (Found the full bottle in the loft next to tank).

Last bloke we had decided it was a faulty temperature gauge and the water was over boiling causing the kettling. We haven't had an issue since.

Hope this helps other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cylinder making a racket. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock