Discuss Compression gas valve underneath gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

Would this be classed as an inaccessible compression joint?

No British standards foot notes clearly identify as an under floor area as not readily accessible .

No British standards foot notes clearly identify as an under floor area as not readily accessible .

As long as there’s a removable cover you are good to have a compression fitting under floor.

Which book u got that in? Non of mine and most certainly not British standards.

(Edit it's in the standards I just chose to recall it differently, and didn't bother to check before post .. DOH!)

Last edited by a moderator:
From current BS 6891:2005

Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to 35 mm (R1¼) in domestic premises (2nd family gas) — Specification

7 Fittings

7.3 Compression fittings
Compression fittings shall conform to BS EN 1254-2 or/and BS EN 1254-4 (copper) or BS EN 1254-3 (polyethylene), as appropriate, and BS 864-2, and shall only be used where they will be readily accessible and allow the nut to be tightened to make a gas tight joint.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 7.3
The ends of any pipe to be joined by a compression fitting should be square cut and deburred. Pipes under floor or in shafts, channels, ducts or voids without removable covers are not considered to be readily accessible.

I guess in this case you could have just your floor boards screwed down - shabby chic. No tiles or laminate flooring.

I wouldn't put compression in under the floor as it's not readily accessible. Taking out a drawer or a few screws to slide out a cooker are a few minute jobs, not trying to lift carpets or floor boards and then having to crawl under a floor (in my opinion)
:)

Ah ok Alex.... I'm just getting out lube. So I can get my foot out of my bum ! A floor board isn't really a hatch , it's a loose board , so I guess if you framed it out as a hatch then yes it's ok ?

Ah ok Alex.... I'm just getting out lube. So I can get my foot out of my bum ! A floor board isn't really a hatch , it's a loose board , so I guess if you framed it out as a hatch then yes it's ok ?

Hatch!? You are talking about a gas pipe buried in concrete ground floors. Where it should be protected and installed into preformed duct.
He was on about an install under floor boards – joisted floor, I guess. No hatch there, just needs to be readily accessible.

No it says removable covers. If they just wanted loose floor boards , under floorboards wouldn't be mentioned in the commentary? As a removable cover would simply be the covering it's self ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression gas valve underneath gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back