Currently reading:
Compression gas valve underneath gas hob

Discuss Compression gas valve underneath gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bhoydavid

Would this be classed as an inaccessible compression joint?

No British standards foot notes clearly identify as an under floor area as not readily accessible .

No British standards foot notes clearly identify as an under floor area as not readily accessible .

As long as there’s a removable cover you are good to have a compression fitting under floor.

Which book u got that in? Non of mine and most certainly not British standards.

(Edit it's in the standards I just chose to recall it differently, and didn't bother to check before post .. DOH!)

Last edited by a moderator:
From current BS 6891:2005

Installation of low pressure gas pipework of up to 35 mm (R1¼) in domestic premises (2nd family gas) — Specification

7 Fittings

7.3 Compression fittings
Compression fittings shall conform to BS EN 1254-2 or/and BS EN 1254-4 (copper) or BS EN 1254-3 (polyethylene), as appropriate, and BS 864-2, and shall only be used where they will be readily accessible and allow the nut to be tightened to make a gas tight joint.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 7.3
The ends of any pipe to be joined by a compression fitting should be square cut and deburred. Pipes under floor or in shafts, channels, ducts or voids without removable covers are not considered to be readily accessible.

I guess in this case you could have just your floor boards screwed down - shabby chic. No tiles or laminate flooring.

I wouldn't put compression in under the floor as it's not readily accessible. Taking out a drawer or a few screws to slide out a cooker are a few minute jobs, not trying to lift carpets or floor boards and then having to crawl under a floor (in my opinion)
:)

Ah ok Alex.... I'm just getting out lube. So I can get my foot out of my bum ! A floor board isn't really a hatch , it's a loose board , so I guess if you framed it out as a hatch then yes it's ok ?

Ah ok Alex.... I'm just getting out lube. So I can get my foot out of my bum ! A floor board isn't really a hatch , it's a loose board , so I guess if you framed it out as a hatch then yes it's ok ?

Hatch!? You are talking about a gas pipe buried in concrete ground floors. Where it should be protected and installed into preformed duct.
He was on about an install under floor boards – joisted floor, I guess. No hatch there, just needs to be readily accessible.

No it says removable covers. If they just wanted loose floor boards , under floorboards wouldn't be mentioned in the commentary? As a removable cover would simply be the covering it's self ?

OK, here it is, from the same BS:

8.8 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors
Installation pipework shall not be buried in concrete slabs.
8.8.2 Rigid stainless steel pipework shall not be buried in concrete screeds.
Pipe buried in concrete screed shall be installed in accordance with Figure 5.
Where a pipe is buried in a concrete screed there shall be a minimum of 25 mm of cover above the pipe.
8.8.3 Pipes buried in concrete ground floors shall be protected against failure caused by movement. Joints shall be kept to a minimum. Compression fittings shall not be buried in concrete screeds or concrete slab.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.8.3

Suitable methods of protection are as follows.
a) Pipe laid on top of base concrete and subsequently covered by a screed (see also 9.2.1).
b) Steel or copper pipe installed into preformed ducts with protective covers.
c) Steel or copper pipe fitted with additional soft, non-permeable covering material. The coverings should
be soft and thick enough to provide movement yet resilient enough to support the concrete cover while it is setting.
The covering should be at least 5 mm thick and resistant to concrete ingress which would negate its ability to allow movement.
Reference should also be made to 9.2.1 for the application of adequate corrosion protection.

And

8.7 Pipes laid in joisted floors
NOTE See foreword.
8.7.1 Where pipes are installed between solid timber joists in floors, intermediate floors or roof spaces, they shall be correctly supported (see Table 2).
8.7.2 Where pipes are installed between timber engineered (I) joists, the pipes shall be installed through
the web of joists in accordance with Table 2 and the joist manufacturer’s guidance.
8.7.3 Where pipes are installed between metal web joists the pipes shall pass between the metal webs with pipe supports fixed to the top or bottom of the timber flanges.
8.7.4 The flanges of timber engineered joists and metal web joists shall not be notched.
8.7.5 Where pipes are laid across solid timber joists fitted with flooring they shall be located in purposemade notches or circular holes.

Joists less than 100 mm shall not be notched. Notches shall be in accordance with Figure 4.

COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 8.7

Prior to running pipework below suspended floors a visual inspection should be carried out to note the position of any electrical cables, junction boxes and ancillary equipment, in order that accidental damage or injury does not occur when inserting pipework.
Care should be taken when re-fixing flooring to prevent damage to the pipes by nails or screws. Where possible, the flooring should be appropriately marked to warn others. Where possible the design should remove the need for notching solid timber joists.

Yep still doesn't say just leave a loose board over a compression fitting under floor tho! . I'm off to chat up this beautiful young lady! Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Compression gas valve underneath gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock