Search the forum,

Discuss Compliant Installation? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My Dad had a new Grant Vortex Oil boiler installed about a year ago now. It was a professional installer who fitted it for him at the time.

I was up feesing his dog today and noticed a couple of things when looking at it. See photo below

20211211_173549.jpg

His house was built in the 1970s. I note there is no new magnetic filter installed for the new boiler.

Secondly note the old fire valve is still there. I thought there is supposed to be remote acting fire valves with the valve itself located outside of the boiler room / house?

Should I tell him to get them back about these items? I guess his boiler warranty is none existent with no magnetic filter. And his house insurance may be in question if God forbid something happened and they note the lack of remote acting Fire Valve.

I don't install boilers.

"Sentinel" claims that filters are unnecessary so long as water quality remains good. They are a useful backup should inhibitor levels fall and corrosion develop. "Sentinel" sells both inhibitor and filters. Personally, I would fit a filter.

I would suggest if the boiler installation instructions do not specify a filter then the warranty is not void, although there may be exclusions should the water quality prove to be sub-standard. Filters will not trap 100% and I would hope the system was flushed and analysis of the system water showed it to be acceptable? I don't think that filters are legally required.

I don't install boilers.

"Sentinel" claims that filters are unnecessary so long as water quality remains good. They are a useful backup should inhibitor levels fall and corrosion develop. "Sentinel" sells both inhibitor and filters. Personally, I would fit a filter.

I would suggest if the boiler installation instructions do not specify a filter then the warranty is not void, although there may be exclusions should the water quality prove to be sub-standard. Filters will not trap 100% and I would hope the system was flushed and analysis of the system water showed it to be acceptable? I don't think that filters are legally required.

Thanks for that, had a look and it says they are recommended but don't appear required for warranty purposes which is good.

Screenshot_20211211-194237_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I am not sure if the system was flushed when he is home again I'll ask for all boiler paperwork and see does it mention anything about cleaning.

First decent boiler we are Grant registered installer's so fit a few.
First I can't see any sign of a remote fire valve existing fusible head valve will not do.
The tiger loop de-aerator looks to be standard model that should only be fitted outside. Indoor type all metal. This needs changing as a matter of urgency.
We always fit a system filter on all systems even though we correctly flush them.
Few week ago we were asked by Grant to check a 4 year old boiler that was a suspected leaker (originally installer retired)
Part of check list as you might expect was water quality in system and did it have a filter?
Turned out to be leaking auto air vent but Grant obviously do take system filter into consideration if hex leaks.

Reply to Compliant Installation? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock