Discuss Cast Iron style rads on 10mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I hired a chaser for £40. But I had my own vacuum.
Agree 2kW is probably too much on 10mm - in any case, 2 kW was a figure plucked out of the air, not an actual figure relating to the OP's question.

The only thing 10mm should be used for is oil line every time I come across it I remove it
Then you are in disagreement with the Copper Development Association which states:

Where
the chosen diameter is too large, so
that the velocity is less then 0.5 m/s,
then sludge can settle in the piping.

and in some cases would therefore prefer to see 10mm used to get sufficient velocity.

Of course, you are allowed to be in disagreement, though.

Then you are in disagreement with the Copper Development Association which states:

Where
the chosen diameter is too large, so
that the velocity is less then 0.5 m/s,
then sludge can settle in the piping.

and in some cases would therefore prefer to see 10mm used to get sufficient velocity.

Of course, you are allowed to be in disagreement, though.

I agree.
There is no need to over size pipework and no excuse for under sizing it.

. . . and every single one of them is right?
No.
They are not all right.
Pipe size can and should be calculated out.
There are 'rules of thumb' of course and we all use them but they come from experience normally. Experience of everyday /common work.

Our house was done with 8mm years ago. I was skeptical and promised myself I would redo in 15 but actually works OK even on large k2. Yes takes a while to heat up but maintains fine, just depends on lifestyle. So never got around to changing. If they just want fast short bursts of 2 hours morning and a few in evening then might struggle.

I'll ring the manufacturers tomorrow , try and get something in writing .;););)
Here's a link to a manufacturer who feels microbore's OK FAQ's Questions Cast Iron Radiators | Ribble Radiators
The 10mm can be disguised or concealed if the aesthetics are a big issue. I had an 1800 x 600 double convector running satisfactorily on 8mm microbore for 34 years at our house, installed from new in 1977 by the developers (until the in screed F&R pipes succumbed to corrosion...) Instinctively, it feels wrong, but it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast Iron style rads on 10mm in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock